SUMMER MUSIC, DANCE AND CULTURAL TOUR TO ISTANBUL, TURKEY July 5-14, 2010

  • mail@helene-eriksen.de
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1 1:13 PM

      MUSIC, DANCE AND CULTURAL TOUR TO ISTANBUL, TURKEY
      July 5-14, 2010

      Dear friends... if you have been hesitating to sign up for this summer's fabulous tour to Turkey,
      it's time to do it now.

      Reserve your space now! If you would like to read descriptions of the tour with PHOTOS then go to www.helene-eriksen.de/tours.htm...you will also find a link to the summer tour to the fabulous
      Marrakesh Folklore Festival in Morocco!

      (Falls Sie diese Information auf DEUTSCH benötigen, sagen Sie bitte Bescheid).

      ITINERARY:
      First of all, the hotel where we will be staying is worth the trip all
      on it's own.  The Kybele is a little gem of a specıal category hotel in
      the middle of the old Ottoman/Byzantine part of town Sultanahmet.  It is
      a 2-minute walk to the Aya Sofia and 4 minutes to the Topkapı palace.
      The hotel is run by my Turkish friend "Mike" that I have known for 15
      years.  He is a collector of Anatolian and Central Asian textiles and
      the hotel is stuffed with antiques, textiles, little lamps, etc.  It's
      even more special to me because 28 years ago, before Mike's family
      bought it, I worked and lived there.

      We will be accompanied on many of our activities by my dear friend and
      colleague Sinan Erdemsel, an outstanding musician and our connection to
      many of the exciting events that are taking place in the Istanbul music
      and dance scene.

      Here's the program I have set up for us and, İnşallah, we will be able
      to take advantage of all these wonderful opportunities.  However, please
      allow for some spontaneous changes especially in the order of events...in fact
      the actual order of events is different every time!
      We may also provide extra opportunities at an extra charge as they come
      up or make substitutions in the program if a special event is taking
      place.  If you would like us to set up private lessons for music just
      let me know.

      Day 1
      Arrival (preferably by the early afternoon).In the evening we will walk
      down to the Train station Sirkeci by the docks to attend a Mevlevi
      concert (Sufi music and whirling dervishes with women) in the grand
      salon of the train station.  This will be followed by a welcoming dinner
      in our hotel.

      Day 2
      We will take a short introductory stroll around our neighbourhood.  Then
      we will have a folk dance workshop with a folkdance teacher.  In the
      afternoon Sinan and I  will give us a small talk introducing us to the
      various different styles of Turkish music...particularly those that we
      will be encountering on our adventure and some basic rhythm theory,
      which will prepare us for our dance classes.  The talk will take place
      in Mikes "hangout".  It is so filled with interesting textiles, carpets
      and jewelery that I hope you will be able to concentrate on the
      lecture!  In the evening we will stroll down İstiklal Caddesi, the grand
      European center of 19th century Istanbul.  Today it houses fashionable
      clothing stores, exclusive confectioners, nice restaurants and....lots
      of good music stores!  In the evening every one is out for a stroll and
      a good time.  We will have dinner in the Çiçek Pasajı (Flower Passage),
      famous for its strolling Roma musicians and wonderful meze (Turkish
      appetizers).  A great opportunity to get up and dance or watch
      the locals show their stuff.

      Day 3
      This morning we will head up to the end of İstiklal Caddesi called Tünel
      which is full of  music stores...instruments and recordings.  Sinan will
      be glad to help people in buying instruments.  We will then go to the
      Galata Tekke (dervish monastery) for a Mevlana Sema...this is sufi music
      in it's original setting.  Tünel gets it's name from a little tram in a
      tunnel that goes steeply down the hill. Built in 1875 it is one of the
      oldest metros in the world.  We will take this little tram down and hop
      on a ferry to take a stroll in Kadıköy on the Asian side of town.  Then
      if we manage to time it right we will do my favourite thing: come back on
      the ferry, drink tea and watch the sun set over one of  the most
      incredible skylines in the world: the minarets of Aya Sofia and the
      Sultanahmet mosque. In the evening we will go to a Gazino with a floor
      show including Oryantal and Folk dancing...this is your chance to see
      what kind of dancing tourists are usually presented.

      Day 4
      In the morning we will have another folk dance workshop. In the
      afternoon we will have the special opportunity to accompany Mike into
      the depths of the Kapalı Çarşı, Istanbul's grand bazaar.  Mike will lead
      us away from the tourist traps to the special places where he buys his
      treasures.  If we have time we can also visit the booksellers and
      miniature paintings.  The main drag of the bazaar is also mind boggling
      with its dazzling TONS of gold jewelery on display.  In the evening we
      will go to Kum Kapı, a part of town full of special fish restaurants and
      Roma musicians. Time to dance again!

      Day 5
      This morning we will visit the Byzantine Cisterns, which are right next
      to our hotel and then visit the Aya Sophia, built in 537 by the
      Byzantine Emperor Justinian, then converted to a mosque in 1493 by the
      Ottomans and converted again in 1935 by Atatürk into a museum.
      Afterwards we will relax over lunch in Caferağa Medresesi, a Quran
      school built in 1559 by Sinan, the Ottoman Empire's most famous
      architect.  Today it houses a school for traditional arts.  Following
      lunch we will  have a workshop in Roman dance with
      Reyhan Tuzsuz, a very, very sweet woman and wonderful dancer and wife of
      a violinist. She is the best of the real thing and has become a favorite
      with visiting dancers from around the world...a kind of secret
      celebrity!!!  The evening will be free to explore our lovely
      neighborhood on your own...perhaps döner kebap in a fast food restaurant
      or a more elaborate meal in one of the open-air restaurants lining the
      Hippodrome?

      Day 6
      In the morning we will visit the Topkapı Museum, Treasury and Harem.
      Prepare to be overwhelmed by such treasures as a pair of gold candle
      sticks as tall as me, set with 6,666 diamonds each, or emeralds as big
      as your fist, or hairs from the beard of the prophet Mohammed (PUH).
      Following lunch we will return to the Caferağa Medresesi for a practical
      lesson in making Ebru, the Ottoman art of paper marbling.  Since we
      learned the basics of Roman the day before we will spend the evening in
      at the Hirdellez festival surrounded by music, dance and parites!
      Be prepared to dance, make wishes and have lots of fun!

      Day 7
      We will spend today in Eyüp Sultan, at the upper end of the Golden Horn.
      We will start by visiting Minia Türk, where we can see all of Istanbul
      in miniature.  We will visit the holy mosque of Eyüp Sultan.  Eyüp was
      the banner carrier of the prophet Mohammed (PUH) and is said to be
      buried here.  It is the most holy place in Istanbul and many important
      personalities of the Ottoman Empire have been buried here.  Turks make
      pilgrimages to the mosque to ask the saint for special blessings. Then
      we will visit the cafe that the French writer Pierre Loti (1850-1923)
      used to frequent on the hill overlooking the Golden Horn.  In the
      afternoon we will go to Sinan's family's house...a very special place.
      It is a Türbe (mausoleum) and Tekke (Sufi monastery) of the Sinani
      order.  Sinan’s family has lived in this spot for 450 years.  The house
      is full of paintings by his grandmother, the wife of the last great
      sheihk of the order.  In the house we will have a singing workshop with
      Sinan's brother Faruk, also a professional musician with a golden voice.
      Following a dinner cooked by Sinan's mother we will have a house concert
      of İlahi (devotional songs).

      Day 8
      Finally a free day!  You could sleep...but there are more corners of the
      bazaar to explore, palaces to visit, delicacies to taste!  In the
      evening we will convene for a dinner in an elegant restaurant on the
      Istiklal Caddesi with Fasıl music.

      Day 9
      On our last day we will have an excursion sailing along the Bosporus and
      munching on snacks baked by Sinan's mother.  In May this should be
      spectacular! Then it's on to an evening of great food in the caverns of
      the Victoria restaurant...with very special house musicians...including
      our very own Sinan!

      Day 10
      Even though we now realize there are still a million things to see it's
      time to leave...

      Conditions

      The tour to Istanbul costs 1,400 Euros.
      (It's easy to convert this into your currency at: www.xe.com)
      Included are: Airport transfers, Hotel with breakfast and refreshments all day,
      one main meal per day, all activities mentioned above.

      Not included are:
      airfare, airport taxes, travel insurance, visas (20$ for US citizens,
      available at the airport, free for EU citizens), extra activities,
      private music lessons, extra taxi, ferry or metro rides (very
      inexpensive), extra meals, tips for musicians at your discretion. And
      don't forget the mind boggling shopping!

      The trip is limited to maximum 15 participants (to keep it cozy).
      An immediate deposit of 500 Euros is due upon registration.
      The full sum is due by May 15th.  In the US you can send me a personal
      check in dollars.  If you live elsewhere you can make a bank transfer to
      my German account.  Pay Pal is also a possibility.  Contact me for
      details. If you don't pay in Euros we will calculate the exchange
      rate at the time of the trip...so be prepared to adjust for any
      fluctuation in the exchange rate.  I will send payment information with
      the registration forms as an email attachment at your request.

      If you would like to arrive early or depart later and would like some
      help with booking accommodations or other travel, don't hesitate to ask
      me for assistance!

      Looking forward to seeing you in Turkey!

      Helene

      www.helene-eriksen.de

    • mail@helene-eriksen.de