3/7, Mountain View, CA: Brass Menagerie; 3/6, Berkeley: California Klezmer
- A couple of shows coming up next week:
On Thursday, March 6, California Klezmer will host a night of klezmer
music & dancing at Ashkenaz (1317 San Pablo at Gilman, Berkeley). Julie
Egger will teach traditional dances & play violin, and Gerry Tenney
(vocals, mandolin, guitar), Jim Rebhan (accordion), David Laub (bass),
and I will join in to rock, er, klez the house. Show starts at 8pm, $9.
Then on Friday the 7th, the Brass Menagerie will play for the Stanford
Folkdance club (at Flex-It aerobics studio, 425 W. Evelyn Avenue,
Mountain View). Sani Rifati will teach some beautiful Romani dances.
Starts at 8pm, $10. Part of the proceeds will benefit Voice of Roma in
support of Rom people in the Balkans.
Voice of Roma: <http://www.scn.org/roma/>
Other advance notices:
* 3/22, 7pm: balkan bash benefit for Ashkenaz, including Brass
Menagerie & about 20 other bands!
* 3/23, 1pm: California Klezmer kids' show at the Berkeley Richmond
Jewish Community Center.
* 4/8, 7pm: International Romani Day at Ashkenaz, with Brass Menagerie,
Rumen Shopov, & Sani Rifati.
* 4/17, 7:30pm: The Gonnifs klezmer band, first bay area appearance in
several years, in a very intimate performance at Boaz Accordions.
* 4/25: Brass Menagerie at Santa Cruz Folkdance Club at Cabrillo
College in Aptos.
hope to see y'all there!
Peter Jaques * clarinetist &c * www.huzzam.com