Rebetiko Sat. Nov 8, Freight & Salvage

  • squirrellymurray
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2008
      Hi All,
      The Disciples of Markos will be playing classic Greek Rebetika this coming Saturday at
      Berkeley's Freight & Salvage. We will be joined by our special auxiliary members from
      Seattle, Hank Bradley and Cathie Whitesides. The Disciples will be opening the show for
      our pals Eric and Suzy Thompson who are celebrating the release of their new cd "Dream
      Shadows"...Eric and Suzy will join us for a couple songs too!

      Here's the official announcement from the Thompsons:

      Just a reminder that next Saturday (Nov. 8) we'll be celebrating the release of  our new CD,
      "Dream Shadows", at the Freight & Salvage -- with a great opening act, the Disciples of
      Markos  (with special guests Hank Bradley & Cathie Whitesides) playing Greek rebetika
      music of the 1920s and 30s.  Doors open at 7:30, the show starts with the Disciples of
      Markos at 8:00, followed by Eric & Suzy at about 9:00 -- and we'll also be sitting in with
      the Disciples for part of their set.
      Freight website:  www.freightandsalvage.org

      We'll be performing material from "Dream Shadows", plus some stuff that we're getting
      ready for our next CD, and some old favorites as well -- blues songs, rags and fiddle
      tunes, and some Cajun music too.  Various special guests will be joining us over the
      course of our set.

      The Disciples of Markos are the Bay Area's Rebetika fundamentalists, who play in a style
      inspired by Markos Vamvakaris, the patriarch of the Greek bouzouki and Rebetika.  The
      band includes most of the Squirrelly String Band (Dave Murray, Debbie Berne, and Allegra
      Yellin) plus Dennis Demakos, Jordan Ruyle, Kevin Gerzevitz, and (visiting from Seattle)
      special guests Hank Bradley and Cathie Whitesides.

      Disciples website: http://www.spectacularopticals.com/DOM1.html