Important Administrative Announcement/Upcoming Events

  • joycexopo@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2001
      From: "Joyce Clyde" <joycexopo@...>
      To: BBMDE@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Important Administrative Announcement/Upcoming events
      Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 18:48:15

      NOTE: In order to contact me (Joyce Clyde) directly YOU MUST USE
      joycexopo@... Notes, requests sent to the list owner address
      are
      not recognized by the program and are not seen by me. It is
      basically good
      for subscribing and unsubscribing to the list, but if you want to let
      me
      know why or ask for further information about an event, you have to
      write me
      at the above address. Thank you very much!!! Joyce

      NOW for the INTERESTING STUFF: (with help from Lise, Asha and others)

      Sat/Sun June 16-17, 2001
      Check http://www.sffolkfest.org for info on The 25th Annual SAN
      FRANCISCO
      FREE FOLK FESTIVAL, Saturday-Sunday, June 16-17, 2001, noon to 'round
      midnight at Roosevelt Middle School,460 Arguello (at Geary), San
      Francisco.
      It is entirely FREE and open to the public. This event includes a
      full
      schedule of folk dance workshops in the afternoons and folk dance
      parties in
      the evenings,on Sat and Sun. Also musician workshops and stage
      performances,
      all free. The full schedule is shown at the web site.

      Tues, June 19 at the Ashkenaz
      BRASS MENAGERIE, live Balkan music
      8 pm Joyce Clyde teaching
      9 pm Brass Menagerie, $8

      Sun, June 24--till Balkan Camp
      Bob Beer is available for group and individual lessons in Turkish
      singing
      and saz. Please contact Peggy at: pdatz@... or
      (510)845-5008 He'll also be on Kuty Derin Kugay's program Monday
      morning
      June 25, between 10:00 and noon, on KPFA, 94.1FM.

      Sun, July 8 Nikolay and Donka Kolevi are available to do singing and
      instrumental workshops and lessons until July 15. I am considering
      organizing an open singing session, and possibly an instrumental
      workshop if
      there is enough interest. Please let me know if you are interested.
      Thanks,
      Joyce joycexopo@... or 510-237-1124

      Tues, July 10 Ashkenaz
      8 pm STEVE KOTANSKY teaching Balkan dance. A very rare Bay Area
      appearance by this great dance teacher! Not to be missed.
      9:30ish music with Anoush (local favorites) and the KOLEVS with Bill
      Cope,
      wonderful Bulgarian musicians from the east coast.
      A Tuesday night that looks like a Saturday $10

      Fri, July 12 Stanford Folk Dances, Mt. View. Dance Party with the
      Kolevs and
      Bill Cope at 8pm (next to Minton Lumber) Address can be found at
      http://www.geocities.com/bayfolk

      Fri, July 20 Cabrillo College, Santa Cruz
      Ahmet Luleci teaching Turkish dances. Another superlative teacher, in
      another rare Bay Area appearance. Edessa playing for dancing
      for information, email Annie Bachar at: Annie Bachar
      <fishdanc@...>

      Sat, July 21 Ashkenaz
      8 pm Ahmet Luleci teaching Turkish dance. WOW!
      9:30ish music with Edessa and Anoush

      August 5, or 7 Another great Balkan Event yet to be arranged!

      Friday August 17 Ashkenaz
      Near East Far West
      An annual gig which joins Edessa with friends Souren Baronian, Haig
      Manoukian, and Polly Tapia Ferber for a night of music from Armenia,
      Turkey, Greece, and the Balkans. If you have never heard these great
      musicians here is your chance. Souren and Haig are from New York, and
      Polly comes from Santa Fe, so we don't have a chance to hear their
      music very often. Dance teacher to be announced.

      http://www.ashkenaz.com
      LIST OF JUNE AND JULY ASHKENAZ EVENTS eventually at
      http://www.ashkenaz.com/jun2001list.htm
      http://www.ashkenaz.com/jul2001list.htm

      EVEN MORE BAY AREA FOLK DANCE INFORMATION AT
      http://www.geocities.com/bayfolk/

      ASHKENAZ
      Nonprofit Music and Dance Community Center
      1317 San Pablo Ave, Berkeley 94702
      Near Gilman Avenue. (510) 525-5054