MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH A CRYPTOZOOLOGICAL CREATURE !

  • Akif / Chulo / El Ecologista / The Green
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
      After I graduated as a doctor in the year 2000 from the medical school of Universidad Tecnologica de Santiago (UTESA) in the capital city of Santo Domingo in the Caribbean country of Dominican Republic in the year 2000 I applied for my internship in Dr.Alfredo Gonzalez Gil Roldan Municipal Hospital at the small town of Villa Jaragua in the Bahorucco province near the Enriquillo lake(named after the rebel Taino Indian chief Enriquillo) in Southwestern Dominican Republic because I wanted to work for conservation of world largest population of American crocodiles (Crocodylus actus) at this lake.

      With an area of 265 sq.km it is the largest lake in Caribbean & is also the lowest point in Caribbean(its surface is 44 metres below sea level).Its maximum depth is 29 metres.Besides crocodiles other animals found there are flamingoes,iguanas & tasty tilapia fish.

      Many of my colleagues advised me to do my internship in Santo Domingo & not to go to that far off backward area.But I gave up my luxurious life in Santo Domingo to go there because I wanted to do something for wildlife.That was the first " sacrifice " of my life for saving wildlife.Since then I am continuously making sacrifices.

      During my internship I bought a goat in the nearby mountains of Sierra de Bahorucco for slaughtering during the Muslim religious festival of Eid-ul-Azha.The farmer from whom I bought the goat advised me to stay at his cabin in the night because it was already sunset & advised me to slaughter this goat tomorrow in a butcher shop in Villa Jaragua.Therefore I tied the goat to a nearby tree & went to sleep in the cabin.But when I woke up in the morning I found that the goat was half eaten by an animal while the rope was still tied around its neck.At first I thought the goat would have been eaten by some neighbouring farmer's dog but when I told that farmer, after seeing corpse he said that it was eaten by " Gata salvaje ".A mysterious large wild cat which comes out in the night from the forest to eat domestic animals.I further investigated & other farmers in that area also told me the same.There have been few sightings of this mysterious wild cat by farmers & by forest guards who regularly patrol the forest to stop the cutting of trees by Haitian immigrants for making wood charcoal.Those who had seen it say that it is a cat like creature about the size of a pig.As it only comes out in night.Therefore they were unable to see its exact shape & colour.All the searches for this creature were unsuccessful.

      After I returned to Santo Domingo after completing my internship I talked with my German conservationist friend Andreas Schubert who works for Dominican Wildlife & who is a member of many conservation organizations about this he said that he already knows about it & he said that when the Taino Indian chief Enriquillo made his decision to rebel against the Spaniards.He gathered together a large group of fellow Tainos and fled to the rugged mountain terrain in the region of Bahoruco in 1520.The Taino insurgents established a secure mountain stronghold where they planted fields of yucca and other provisions in the most hidden and remote valleys and conducted raids against Spanish haciendas and ranches in the vicinity.The Spanish who had also discovered the mainland of the American continent at that time brought jaguars from Central America to harass & to drive out the Taino Indians from their hide outs since they had never seen that animal before.Even though the Indians on the American mainland were familiar with it.It is not exactly known how much these jaguars were successful in attacking the Taino people.However it is a possibility that these cryptid wild cats are remaining small jaguar population that might have survived in these rugged mountains because of their remoteness.May be Andreas Schubert was right !
    • Radar
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
        talking about cryptozoology and bats here are a couple links I found interesting

        about chupacobras blood sucking large animals

        I was looking for one that appeared a year ot two ago fo some bones that looks like a 5 foot bat maybe a vampire in S or Central america. what was weird it wasn't prehistoric the bones dated back 400 years. anyone know of the webpage that had the article. I think we wouldl know of any 5 foot vampires still living down their a lot of cattle would be dead I'm sure. but it could have recently gone exstinct. but I'd think there would be stories of such a creature. I had a few computer crashes so I guess I lost the address.

        I'm always looking for new story material and cryptozoology gives a lot of imagination to work with.

[...]

                 DBA under FEWERR - ESSACS - Environmental Safety Systems & Compliance Services (14 years)

        President - Taylor Energy Advisory Ltd (International Consulting for 23 years Petroleum/Environmental Engineering)

                 DBA under Taylor Energy - Search Companies (15 years) Contract Employment, Information System Design & Manufacturing,

        Want to talk? YIM  = Radar_Foxbat, AIM = Radar Foxbat

      • Radar
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
          must be something in the air. well it is a full moon this just came in today. wildheart ranch is only 30 miles east of me. looks like they have thier own mystery animals there too. the chupakabra of dry gultch en maybe I think it's a hairless racoon with mange. http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=12063067&Call=Email&Format=HTML she takes care of bats too when she gets them in.

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2010
            yahoo acting wierd lets see if this stays out of the yahoo abyss.see if it goes through

            must be something in the air. well it is a full moon this just came in today. wildheart ranch is only 30 miles east of me. looks like they have thier own mystery animals there too. the "chupacabra of dry gultch". Even the location gives a good story name. probably she's right hairless racoon with mange. http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=12063067&Call=Email&Format=HTML she takes care of bats too when she gets them in.

            talking about cryptozoology and bats here are a couple links I found interesting

            I was looking for one that appeared a year ot two ago fo some bones that looks like a 5 foot bat maybe a vampire in Venezuela. what was weird it wasn't prehistoric the bones dated back 400 or some years. anyone know of the webpage that had the article. I think we wouldl know of any 5 foot vampires still living down their a lot of cattle would be dead I'm sure. but it could have recently gone exstinct. but I'd think there would be stories of such a creature. Well the Mayans did have a bat god Camazotz maybe they took that from a real 5' vampire bat back then. I had a few computer crashes so I guess I lost the address.

            I'm always looking for new story material and cryptozoology gives a lot of imagination to work with animal stories.