Fw: birds hunting bats for food

  • Jackie
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 13, 2009
        Strange, but true article about bats in Europe:
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/sep/09/great-tits-hunting-bats
    • londheart
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 14, 2009
        --- In BATS_@yahoogroups.com, "Jackie" <jkhsquonk@...> wrote:

        > Strange, but true article about bats in Europe:
        > http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/sep/09/great-tits-hunting-bats

        It's only 'strange' because of our idealised, sentimental non-bat view of these dinosaur descendants - altho some of us were already onto it: why, for example do bats need the protection of crevices and bat-boxes, in summer, here in England, if not from birds? It would have to be out of danger from our other furry friends, the squirrels, otherwise.

        I couldn't help noticing that this alarming news of our endangered friends came out on 9.09.09 - '999' is the number for emergency services here in the UK.
        And for those into synchronicities, I learnt today that the endangered Basque language is known in Spain as 'Batua.'

        Richard Comaish (London)