Flying foxes in Australia

  • zenzoo@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 11, 2008

      Flying Foxes

      Clarence Valley Council is unlikely to be free to disperse flying foxes should they return to Maclean in coming weeks. Although council has permission from the State Government to disperse the flying foxes, it also needs approval from the Federal Government because the grey-headed flying fox is listed as a threatened species. To get the all-clear from Federal bureaucrats, another report is needed. However, there is no guarantee the report would recommend dispersal. Even if it did, council has been advised by federal officials any licence would be very restrictive and may preclude any dispersal that would assist residents.

      With doubt about how effective any licence from the Federal Government might be, council decided at its meeting on Tuesday not to pay for the report, but to ask for funding from the State Government. It is believed the report could cost anywhere between $30,000 and $50,000. Council does not own or manage any of the land used by the flying foxes. While flying foxes are yet to be sighted near Maclean houses, time is running out for residents keen to avoid another summer where flying foxes roost near their homes. "There's none here at the present time," resident Brian Johnson said. "They're due, though. It was about this time last year they arrived. There can be none overnight but you'll wake up the next morning and there'll be thousands."  *Daily Examiner

      Attached is a petition going to the minister for environment regarding the shooting of flying foxes in NSW.  They are listed as a vunerable species and we are trying to get this stopped.  I am endevouring to get as much publicity for this petition as I can so if anyone is interested in signing it and fowarding it on I would be very grateful.

      http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/ban-the-inhumane-shooting-of-flying-foxes-in-NSW            Thank you for your time. *Network Item

      --
      Cheers,
      Lisa Chiapero