Hibernation Caves

  • mlangas
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2008
      Is it possible to build a hibernation cave for bats? I've found loads
      of information on building and buying bat houses, but nothing on cave
      construction. Has it ever been tried?
    • Radar
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2008
        someone a year or two ago wrote on one of the bat channels about actually building a cave. as I recall it kind of looked like a dog house out of fake rocks. kind of hard to put a cave on a 15-20 foot pole unless you live on the side of a mountain. then you might as well build a real one. I never heard back how this guys cave worked. but low to the ground with cats etc be hard to get a bat to buy it unless it already had a roost of bats to invite it.

        Radar aka Bruce Taylor – Tulsa Oklahoma fewerr@...

        Director of FEWERR (501c3)- The Foundation for Environmental & Wildlife; Education, Research & Rehab

        (OK lic wildife rehabber specialty bats http://www.geocities.com/radar_foxbat  (all about real bats)

                 DBA under FEWERR - ESSACS - Environmental Safety Systems & Compliance Services (14 years)

        President - Taylor Energy Advisory Ltd (International Consulting for 23 years Petroleum/Environmental Engineering)

                 DBA under Taylor Energy - Search Companies (15 years) Contract Employment, Information System Design & Manufacturing,

        Want to talk? YIM  = Radar_Foxbat, AIM = Radar Foxbat

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 6, 2008
          There is a bat aficionado in Texas, J. David Bamberger, who constructed
          a bat cave on his ranch that has proven popular with migratory Mexican
          Freetailed bats as a maternity roost in summer, but I'm not aware of any
          caves that have been built as winter hibernacula. Many abandoned mines
          have been adopted by various bats as winter roosts, however.

          Here's a link to the Bamberger Bat Cave website:
          http://www.bambergerranch.org/news/bats.phtml

          Cindy Myers
          Fallbrook CA
          www.BatWorld.org