I miss them

  • vbakkedahl
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2007
      I am in Minnesota, and we have had a very hard winter up here, hardly
      any snow, the frost is down to 10 feet, I am worried about my bats,
      the climate is changing for them. But, on the other hand I know that
      somehow they will survive (my septic system didn't), but they are
      smarter. I know my bats are under ground somewhere safe and sound and
      they will come back to me. I have two colonies, one maternal which is
      under the shutter on one side of my bedroom, and the boy's bat house
      which is on the other side of my bedroom. I am a very lucky person, I
      have bats in stereo, each homes are by my windows. I have probably 200
      girls and about 350 males. I so miss their hissing, fighting, and I
      like to think of it as the airport. I have 2 dogs, a yorkie and a
      chihuahua, they totally accept the bats going in and out all night
      long, it's no big thing for them because they know I love them. They
      don't even care when the babies are on the first flight and have to
      crawl up the screens screaming their hearts out to find Momma. I was
      just wondering if anybody up North in the cold misses their bats.
      Thank you. Vicky
    • Cynthia Myers
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2007
        Hi Vicky,

        What a great description of your resident colony! I love hearing about
        the baby bats' first flight attempts. Years ago, I read an article in
        Nature Magazine, about young Little Brown bats who would get so
        discouraged sometimes that they could be seen WALKING back to their
        roost, poor little tykes.

        Thanks for sharing your observations, :-)
        cindy m.

        Cynthia Myers
        San Diego CA
        http://www.BatRescue.org
        http://www.BatWorld.org
        http://home.earthlink.net/~cmsquare

        ...I have bats in stereo, each homes are by my windows. I have probably
        200
        girls and about 350 males. I so miss their hissing, fighting, and I
        like to think of it as the airport. I have 2 dogs, a yorkie and a
        chihuahua, they totally accept the bats going in and out all night
        long, it's no big thing for them because they know I love them. They
        don't even care when the babies are on the first flight and have to
        crawl up the screens screaming their hearts out to find Momma. I was
        just wondering if anybody up North in the cold misses their bats.
        Thank you. Vicky
      • Teresa Cochran
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2007
          I love your description of your wee neighbors, too, especially the "bats in
          stereo" part. I'm sure they'll be back; you've made a nice place for them to
          make their home!

          I'm anxiously looking forward to hearing our western pipistrelles around
          here. My boyfriend says he saw insects flying around, and it's getting
          warmer here in southern Nevada, so bats can't be too far away, or they are
          waking up. :)

          Take care,
          Teresa