Petition re: sale of dead bats

  • Cynthia Myers
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2006

      Bat fans and wildlife lovers,

      A company called Ward’s Natural Science/Edmund Scientific is collecting and killing healthy bats during maternity season, so they can be put in jars and sold to teachers. Bat World Sanctuary bought one to do a necropsy, and found that the bat was a lactating female of good weight, which means they’re probably orphaning one pup for each female bat collected (they admitted that they kill these bats during the summer, which is bat pup season!) The dead bats are being sold for a paltry amount, and this encourages other “creepy dead things” websites to buy and sell them also.

      Ward’s needs to be convinced that we don’t need to kill healthy wild animals to learn about them, and over half our 46 US bat species are already endangered, threatened, or being considered for listing. Please sign this petition and cross-post to other wildlife groups.

      http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/842577656

      Thank you,

      cindy m.