North American Symposium on Bat Research

  • Cynthia Myers
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9, 2006
      The North American Symposium on Bat Research will be held next month in
      Wilmington, North Carolina, October 17--21. Check their site for more info:
      http://www.nasbr.org

      I went to my first NASBR last year, had a great time, learned a lot! I don't
      have a scientific background so some of the presentations were way over my
      head (DNA studies, for instance), but there were also presentations on
      behavior of different species, conservation issues, bat houses, community
      outreach efforts, wind turbine fatalities, etc. It was great to meet Merlin
      Tuttle, whose 1986 National Geographic article on epauletted fruit bats
      first got me interested in bats. Every time I turned around, I got to meet
      another bat expert whose name I recognized from books I own or studies I've
      read.

      Can't go again this year because we're about to move, otherwise I'd go in a
      heartbeat. Highly recommend attending if you want to be involved in
      conservation issues or do educational outreach. Then you can go to Bat World
      Boot Camp in the summer to learn hands-on bat care! ;-)

      cindy m.
      cynthia myers
      San Diego CA
      www.BatRescue.org