North American Symposium on Bat Research

  • Cynthia Myers
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2005
      Is anyone here going to attend the North American Symposium on Bat Research?
      It will be held in Sacramento CA this year, so this will be my first and
      possibly last chance to attend. You can see info about it here:
      http://www.nasbr.org/

      cindy m.

      Cynthia Myers
      San Diego CA
      http://www.BatRescue.org
      http://home.earthlink.net/~cmsquare
    • Cynthia Myers
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 2006
        The North American Symposium on Bat Research will be held next month in
        Wilmington, North Carolina, October 17--21. Check their site for more info:
        http://www.nasbr.org

        I went to my first NASBR last year, had a great time, learned a lot! I don't
        have a scientific background so some of the presentations were way over my
        head (DNA studies, for instance), but there were also presentations on
        behavior of different species, conservation issues, bat houses, community
        outreach efforts, wind turbine fatalities, etc. It was great to meet Merlin
        Tuttle, whose 1986 National Geographic article on epauletted fruit bats
        first got me interested in bats. Every time I turned around, I got to meet
        another bat expert whose name I recognized from books I own or studies I've
        read.

        Can't go again this year because we're about to move, otherwise I'd go in a
        heartbeat. Highly recommend attending if you want to be involved in
        conservation issues or do educational outreach. Then you can go to Bat World
        Boot Camp in the summer to learn hands-on bat care! ;-)

        cindy m.
        cynthia myers
        San Diego CA
        www.BatRescue.org