Editorial: Improve SF motorcycle parking

  • 7/25 SF Examiner
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2002
      Published Thursday, July 25, 2002, in the San Francisco Examiner

      Editorial

      No parking here, or there

      When doesn't it pay to drive something that gets great gas mileage
      and fits into a compact space? When it is a motorcycle and you live
      in The City.

      For every 10 cycles registered in San Francisco, there is one
      designated parking space -- and only five cycle parking areas in the
      outer neighborhoods. In comparison, there is one space for every 1.3
      cars or trucks registered in The City, and we all know how easy it is
      to find parking, even at that ratio.

      Cyclists know it, and they're not going to take it anymore. Some
      4,000 bikers have signed petitions at local cycle shops or online to
      ask for better accommodation, and some 75 appeared at City Hall last
      month to say the same thing.

      The last straw was the increase in fines for vehicle offenses. The
      fine for parking on the sidewalk was $25 until July. Now it's $75,
      and will jump to $100 in a year.

      Some choice -- a bummer ticket for parking on the sidewalk vs. a
      tipped-over cycle when some parallel parker goes a little deep.

      The supervisors are planning a hearing on towing cars that park in
      motorcycle spots (a mere $50 fine) and other ways to boost good cycle
      parking. Supervisor Matt Gonzalez also is working with the months-old
      San Francisco Motorcycle and Scooter Coalition, as well as assigning
      an analyst to study better parking options.

      Good start. We should cut our bikers some slack. They're doing what
      we ask and keeping more cars off the road. Plus they're keeping our
      gonzo past alive and kicking.