East Palo Alto to receive $700,000 streetscape grant

  • 6/29 SMCo. Times
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2002
      Published Saturday, June 29, 2002, in the San Mateo County Times

      East Palo Alto to receive $700,000 grant for revitalization project

      The city will receive a $700,000 grant for its "Gateway to Ravenswood"
      revitalization project, the Metropolitan Transportation Commission
      announced this week.

      The money will help to improve the streetscape of Bay Road between
      University Avenue, where the city plans to build a new City Hall, and
      Illinois and Clarke avenues, where community health and nonprofit
      centers recently opened.

      "The 'Gateway to Ravenswood' Project is our first step toward
      revitalizing our Ravenswood Business District and connecting it to our
      Town Center and waterfront," Mayor Duane Bay said in a news
      release. "In a few short years, I look forward to strolling on
      improved sidewalks from our new City Hall, along our new main street,
      toward San Francisco Bay to new jobs, services and homes in the
      Ravenswood Business District."

      U.S. Rep. Anna Eshoo, D-Atherton, said the money will help provide an
      economic foundation for the new buildings at both ends of Bay Road.

      "I'm confident that the project will help to turn an industrial area
      around after being held back by years of urban blight," Eshoo said.

      The project will include bike lanes, trees, attractive lighting and
      improved sidewalks, Bay said.

      The project is one of 12 in the Bay Area chosen by the MTC for funding
      from the Transportation for Livable Communities program, which is
      funded by the U.S. Department of Transportation.