Brisbane to join HSR-hostile Peninsula Cities Consortium

  • 10/22 Burlingame Patch
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2010
      Published Friday, October 22, 2010, by Burlingame.Patch.com

      Burlingame's New Ally
      Brisbane announces it will join Peninsula Cities Consortium

      By Miriam Finder

      At Friday's meeting of the Peninsula Cities Consortium (PCC) <http://peninsularail.com>, an organization aimed to inform and involve the public on California High Speed Rail (HSR), Brisbane Councilwoman Sepi Richardson announced Brisbane will join the PCC.

      The PCC is composed of one representative each from Burlingame, Menlo Park, Atherton, Belmont and Palo Alto.

      "I'm here to support and do what I need to do," said Richardson.

      This addition to the group comes at a time when Burlingame officials have been expressing the importance of joining together in the face of HSR and the need for a central voice. Although Burlingame Mayor Cathy Baylock regularly meets with representatives from San Mateo and Millbrae concerning HSR, both cities have neglected to join the PCC.

      At the meeting, Baylock also gave an update on Burlingame officials' actions regarding HSR in the past couple weeks. She said she has given presentations to groups such as the Lions Club, Rotary Club and Chamber of Commerce and urged others to arrange similar presentations.

      "I think it's very helpful for 40 or 50 people at a time," Baylock said. "[It's] a great way to keep getting the message out."

      She spoke briefly about the story poles and their early destruction due to safety concerns from Caltrain.

      "A lot of our community was upset that before they could come out and see it, they were taken down already," Baylock said.

      As a group, the PCC members discussed potential further action they can take against HSR as it currently stands. Menlo Park Mayor and PCC Chair Rich Cline said they need to take legislative actions by writing letters on issues they disagree with, such as appointments to the high speed rail authority, and requesting public documents to get more information.

      "I just think it's a matter of us getting a little more unified," Cline said. "We need to talk to legislators and not high speed rail."

      [BATN: See also:

      $425m plan for old Brisbane rail yards near Bayshore Caltrain stop

      5 Peninsula cities want HSR stopped until their demands are met

      Business group says Peninsula HSR critics real aim is to kill HSR

      Bay Area Council knocks Peninsula HSR critics in scathing letter

      Bay Area business group blasts HSR-hostile Peninsula leaders

      HSR advocates urge Peninsula Cities group to tone down rhetoric

      HSR-hostile Peninsula mayors take HSRA's Pringle on 3.5-hour tour

      CA HSR Blog: Bay Area Council Slams PCC
      http://cahsrblog.com/2010/07/bay-area-council-slams-pcc

      Editorial: Giving in to NIMBY-demanded cost-bloat will kill HSR

      Letter: HSRA should fulfill all budget-busting NIMBY demands

      Peninsula cities prepare to fight for budget-busting tunneled HSR

      CA HSR blog: HSR Deniers to California: Pay For Our Tunnel!
      http://cahsrblog.com/2009/01/hsr-deniers-to-california-pay-for-our-tunnel ]