Caltrain delays draconian service cuts until July 2011

  • 9/7 Progressive Railroading
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2010
      Published Tuesday, September 7, 2010, by Progressive Railroading

      Caltrain predicts more budget predicaments in FY2012

      Although the elimination of service to Gilroy and on weekends has been taken off the list of possibilities for closing Caltrain's $2.3 million budget shortfall in fiscal-year 2011, more cuts could be back on the table next summer, Caltrain officials said in a prepared statement.

      The agency is facing a nearly $30 million budget deficit in fiscal-year 2012, said Caltrain Executive Director Michael Scanlon.

      "These will be the good old days compared to what we will face in July," he said. "We are talking about no special service, no weekend service, no late night service, no midday service and no service to Gilroy. We are only putting off for a matter of months the day of reckoning."

      The board still is considering whether to reduce weekday early morning, midday and/or late evening service, increase one-way base fares by 25 cents and raise the GO Pass from $140 to $155 to close the FY2011 budget gap. Final proposals will be presented to the board at an Oct. 7 meeting. Changes would take effect Jan. 1, 2011.

      [BATN: See also:

      Caltrain puts off "draconian" service cuts for another few months

      Caltrain finances grim after JPB member agencies slash funding 36%

      Caltrain service to Gilroy likely to continue until at least July

      Caltrain staff to recommend keeping Gilroy & weekend service

      Letter: Unlike BART, Caltrain lacks dedicated tax or funding source

      After JPB members cut funding, Caltrain faces big cuts, fare hikes