Caltrain service to Gilroy likely to continue until at least July

  • 8/31 Hollister Free Lance
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31 4:22 PM
      Published Tuesday, August 31, 2010, by the Hollister Free Lance

      Local Caltrain service stays on track

      By Lindsay Bryant

      Caltrain sent a news release Monday stating they will ask the Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board of Directors to continue service to Gilroy "at least until next July."

      Caltrain is trying to close a $2.3 million budget deficit and the waning ridership in South County has put the service from the Tamien station in San Jose to Gilroy on the docket for elimination. Eliminating weekend service is also an option.

      "Based on estimates of the potential cost savings and input from our customers, we would like to preserve these two important services at least until the beginning of the next fiscal year," Caltrain Executive Director Michael Scanlon said.

      The cities of Gilroy and Morgan Hill are going full-steam ahead with the position on eliminating Caltrain service to South County: Don't do it.

      Gilroy Mayor Al Pinheiro said a letter is in the works to deliver with city representation to the Caltrain board in a scheduled public hearing at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Caltrain office, 1250 San Carlos Ave., San Carlos.

      Morgan Hill Mayor Steve Tate was authorized Wednesday night to sign a letter on behalf of the city and its riders to send to the Caltrain Board of Directors.

      Tate plans to do one better. He said he will hand deliver and speak at the public hearing.

      "We have the same concerns (as Morgan Hill). We have invested a lot of money into our downtown," Pinheiro said. "It's very important that folks can hop on the train, live here in Gilroy and take the train to the Valley."

      The Morgan Hill letter asks Caltrain consider fare increases and service reductions in other areas, such as the weekend or midday service in San Jose.

      Pinheiro added eliminating the service to South County could wreck the ridership numbers.

      "It will be harder to get them to hop back on the train. We certainly expect Caltrain not to eliminate the service," Pinheiro said Monday.

      Lindsay Bryant is a reporter for the Morgan Hill Times.

      [BATN: See also:

      Caltrain staff to recommend keeping Gilroy & weekend service

      Morgan Hill to urge JPB not to eliminate Gilroy Caltrain service

      Editorial: Don't abandon rider-abandoned Gilroy Caltrain service

      Gilroy extension Caltrain riders would rather pay than lose service

      Caltrain riders react to proposed cuts and fare hikes; bike space

      Caltrain says many favor axing midday train service; hearing today

      Funding-starved Caltrain may ax Gilroy service; ridership down 78%

      Caltrain seeks input on proposed major cuts, ending Gilroy service

      SamTrans/Caltrain spokeswoman crows about $150m Hwy 101 widening