Letter: Support Caltrain non-auto access, 80 on-board bike spaces

  • 4/29 San Mateo Journal
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2010
      Published Thursday, April 29, 2010, by the San Mateo Daily Journal

      Letters to the Editor

      Bikes on the rails

      I support Caltrain's Comprehensive Access Program which emphasizes walking, public transit and biking over automobile use. If we keep prioritizing automobiles we'll only get more of them, so it's heartening to see Caltrain's attempt to reverse our backwards priorities and concentrate on making alternative modes of transportation more feasible and attractive. In particular, I'm hoping that Caltrain will upgrade their fleet to accommodate 80 bikes per train, so that Caltrain can be a reliable and predictable mode of transportation for bike commuters. Bicycling is a neat solution that solves several problems at once (fewer cars on the street, less space needed for parking, reduced carbon emissions, etc.) and I'm gratified to see Caltrain pay more attention to this growing community need as we all strive for a healthier environment and more efficient and sustainable transit infrastructure!

      Nadir Jeevanjee
      Oakland

      [BATN: See also:

      Letter: Adding bike space best way to shift Caltrain station access

      Caltrain study to focus on non-automobile station access

      Caltrain seeks input on non-automobile station access policy

      Caltrain focus to shift to riders who don't drive cars to stations (4 Mar 10)