SF Giants concerned about proposed Caltrain cuts

  • 4/2 KCBS Radio
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2010
      Published Friday, April 2, 2010, by KCBS Radio AM 740

      Giants Concerned About Caltrain Cuts

      By Tim Ryan

      The San Francisco Giants say they're concerned about proposed night time service cuts along the Peninsula by Caltrain.

      KCBS reports they were paying very close attention to the issue at the annual "Play Ball Lunch" at the Marriott Hotel in San Francisco.

      Giants President Larry Baer figures those cut will affect fans, but not a majority of those who ride special game trains, which are usually packed.

      "Truly the heart of our fan base is San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties, so we have as many trains as we can get and Caltrain's been great to up until this point. We're confident that we'll be able to work something out."

      Santa Clara University student Allyssa Bothman and her friends ride them regularly saving on parking costs that many consider outrageous.

      "A lot of the students take BART and then hop on the Caltrain."

      Caltrain indicates it may have to cut service in half at all hours, including weekends because of huge cuts in state funding the past several years.

      [BATN: See also:

      Caltrain crisis has officials eying new sources for operating cash

      Caltrain goes broke; will likely cut weekend, night, midday trains