Letters: HOV toll, handicapped free parking; Market St. closure

  • 2/27 SF Chronicle
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2009
      Published Friday, February 27, 2009, by the San Francisco Chronicle

      Letters to the Editor

      Why should any cars cross bridge for free?

      toll" (editorial, Feb. 26): How can carpoolers be upset about not
      getting a free ride across our bridges, when they avoid miles-long
      backups? And while we're at it, why in the world do handicap pass
      holders get to park free anywhere? Does a physical limitation
      automatically mean they're poverty-stricken?

      Ralph Hueston Kratz
      Richmond

      Pushing congestion

      Any honest traffic engineer will tell you that when you close a
      street to auto traffic, congestion on adjacent streets will increase.
      If Market Street is closed to cars, as proposed by Supervisor Chris
      Daly, the already severe congestion in the Financial District, the
      Tenderloin and SOMA will only get worse. The sad truth is that this
      is exactly what the anti-auto ideologues who run City Hall want --
      more congestion. With more congestion, they can justify "congestion
      pricing" and higher parking fees in the downtown and SOMA. The closure
      of Market Street is just one more step toward their ultimate goal --
      to force all San Francisco drivers out of their cars. For the record,
      I have walked, taken Muni, ridden my bike and driven a car on the
      streets of San Francisco for the past 45 years.

      Richard Covert
      San Francisco

      [BATN: See also:

      Editorial: A fair bridge toll for carpools is long overdue

      SF to study restricting cars on Market Street

      SF Market Street car ban gains wider support

      Carpoolers oppose plan for HOVs to pay bridge tolls too