Letter: HSR compromise impossible -- we must liquidate HSRA

  • 2/25 Palo Alto Daily
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26 12:22 AM
      Published Wednesday, February 25, 2009, by the Palo Alto Daily News

      Letters to the Editor

      We don't need the High Speed Rail Authority to tell us what to do

      I am watching the discussion of high speed rail with mixed feelings.
      On the California High Speed Rail Authority side, I see a lot of
      arrogance and a clear deficit of competence; on the other side --
      concerned residents and cities -- naive attempts to bring logic to
      this madness and to find some kind of reasonable compromise.

      Naive people do no understand that as soon as you create an authority
      with a specific name, and are paying money to employees of this
      authority, they will do everything to justify its name, and their
      salaries. Just try to create an Authority for Digging Ditches Across
      El Camino Real, and you will see what will happen with out main
      thoroughfare. The High Speed Rail Authority will push the project
      of high speed rail, no matter what are economical reasons for this
      project, what will be the effect of cutting cities in halves, how
      many people will be evicted from their homes, or how many historic
      trees will be uprooted.

      What I suggest is to give up trying to find an impossible compromise
      and to start action on liquidation of the California High Speed Rail
      Authority. This is America. We don't need Big Brother to tell us
      what is good for us, and to impose it on us against our will. And,
      dismantling this authority will save taxpayers many millions of
      dollars, which California needs so desperately.

      Mikhail A. Rakov
      Menlo Park