Letter: Caltrain urged to adopt SFBC plan to expand bike capacity

  • 12/31 Menlo Park Almanac
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2009
      Published Wednesday, December 31, 2008, by the Menlo Park Almanac

      Letters to the Editor

      Caltrain needs to boost number of bike spots

      I commute from Palo Alto to San Francisco daily and greatly value
      Caltrain's bike service for the advantages it gives over driving: I
      get exercise, I don't have to worry about where to park, don't have
      to worry about getting parking tickets, don't have to stress about
      traffic.

      Many is the evening I've biked past backed-up traffic getting on the
      highways with a little "ha-ha!" in my heart, on my way to a
      comfortable ride on Caltrain. Of course, some evenings the bike car is
      full and I'm bumped, and that turns into a half-hour wait or longer
      for the next train.

      However, the SF Bike Coalition has proposed an idea to expand bike
      capacity by reducing some seating to create 80 bike spots on every
      train, a great option for both bikers and riders. I urge Caltrain
      to review this plan <http://www.sfbike.org/?caltrain_bob> and move
      forward in its plans to offer more bike access to commuters.

      Beth Morgan
      Everett Avenue, Palo Alto