Letter: Increase Caltrain bicycle capacity to 80 per train

  • 12/31 Palo Alto Daily
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2008
      Published Wednesday, December 31, 2008, by the Palo Alto Daily News

      Letters to the Editor

      Increase Caltrain's bike capacity

      It's very important to me as an avid cyclist-commuter that Caltrain
      plans to increase onboard bike capacity. The ability to ride my bike
      to and from the train means a lot to me, and shows a commitment by
      Caltrain to care about us as healthy humans, and shows care for the
      environment.

      I take my bike on board Caltrain for two reasons: One, I love to ride
      my bike (over driving, walking, skateboarding, rollerblading, to
      work); and two, I don't have much choice. I need to take my bike on
      board because I need it to also ride to work. Having bike parking at
      stations means absolutely nothing to me, personally. I need to have my
      bike with me throughout the day, to run errands, ride to lunch, etc.
      Leaving it locked up far away really does me no good. And it's just a
      faster, healthier way to get around. I'm sure we can all appreciate
      that.

      It really seems logical and practical to increase bike capacity to 80
      bikes per train. The impact of trade-off seems completely worth it to
      all riders. Furthermore, as ridership increases due to more and more
      cyclists consistently getting on board, Caltrain will see increased
      revenue, alongside a reduction in traffic congestion and pollution.
      Hopefully we all can come to a solution that we are all happy with
      ... for Caltrain, for all the ridership, and for the planet.

      Fabian Falconett
      San Mateo