Update: HSRA's Kopp vs. SF Transbay Terminal Transit Center

  • 11/20 SF Bay Guardian
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 2008
      Published Thursday, November 20, 2008, by San Francisco Bay Guardian

      UPDATE

      HSRA chair Kopp opposes running HSR to downtown SF terminal

      By Steven T. Jones

      I just spoke with Judge Kopp, who denied that he has personal issues
      with Ayerdi-Kaplan, who he said he's never spoken with directly,
      although he said she "insinuated herself" into some of his press
      events. That raises the question of just what Ayerdi-Kaplan is
      doing to further the goals of her project if not trying to develop
      a relationship with the chair of the project.

      Furthermore, Kopp said he has concerns about the TJPA's priorities,
      which seem to involve building a fancy station before the trains
      even arrive. "I'm told that they're going about this backward," Kopp
      said. "The extension of the track should be accomplished first, then
      the new terminal can be constructed."

      But I asked him whether he might be open to supporting the extension
      if Alberti's assumptions are correct, that they'll only be seeking
      about $700 million, which is what he says it would cost to upgrade
      the existing Caltrain station.

      "It's possible when we raise $33 billion," he said of the full amount
      projected for the project's first phase, which includes private
      sector contributions. "Is it possible out of $9 billion? I doubt it."

      Kopp noted the massive scale of this project and the statewide
      representation on his board would make this essentially local project
      a tough sell. And that's a sales job now being hindered by Ayerdi-
      Kaplan's absence and inaccessibility, which he said is outrageous
      for an agency that size: "We don't have a PR person deflecting media
      inquiries."

      The Guardian has been seeking an extended interview with Ayerdi-
      Kaplan over these and other issues, which Alberti has tentatively
      scheduled for Dec. 3, so check the Guardian for updates after that.

      [BATN: See also:

      HSRA chair Kopp opposes running HSR to downtown SF terminal

      HSRA chair Kopp wants to end HSR at SF Caltrain terminal

      HSRA may not pay to reach downtown SF Transbay Transit Center