Letter: Anti-green NIMBY Marin blocks freight trains, SMART

  • 2/19 Marin IJ
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2008
      Published Tuesday, February 19, 2008, by the Marin Independent Journal

      Letters to the Editor

      Marin's anti-green attitude

      As news of repeated and various sewage spills leaks out from Marin,
      I am wondering if anyone has the courage to objectively assess the
      anti-environmental attitude Marin has foisted on the Bay Area.

      Leaving the sewage fiascos for others, but using them as an example
      of a Marin attitude of environmental isolationism and superiority,
      I think especially of Marin's attitude toward mass transit.

      As other Bay Area counties use and develop functional and improving
      mass transit systems, Marin (specifically Novato) files a lawsuit
      against rail traffic in Sonoma and Mendocino counties to block rail
      traffic in Sonoma and Mendocino counties. (It must be nice to have
      so much money to fritter on frivolous lawsuits.)

      If the Highway 101 gridlock was not so serious, it would be
      hilarious. Marin opted out of BART. That was a real environmentally
      smart move.

      Of course, Marin only needs one main north/south means of access.
      And, of course, automotive/truck exhaust blows out to other counties,
      so what's the problem? Marin blocked the passage of the Sonoma-Marin
      Area Rail Transit sales tax measure. For residents to recognize that
      Marin is a part of an ecological whole, instead of a elite world unto
      itself, would pollute their myopic world view.

      As I write from Cloverdale in Sonoma County (yes, the town with a
      commuter train station Marin prevents us from using), I again ponder
      the impact Marin attitudes are having on the environment. It would be
      interesting if environmental impact reports were required for Marin's
      environmental attitudes.

      Harry Martin
      Cloverdale

      [BATN: See also:

      Marin enviros seek to watchdog SMART working group meetings

      Marin Co. judge halts NCRA track repairs; anti-train Novato happy

      NIMBY Novato vs. NCRA train battle: judge issues stop-work order

      Column: SMART tax failed in all Marin cities (16 Nov 06)

      Marin Co. "no" votes derail SMART Measure R sales tax (8 Nov 06)