Letter: Caltrain hurts itself, public by turning away bicycles

  • 12/8 Redwood City Daily
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2007
      Published Saturday, December 8, 2007, by the Redwood City Daily News

      Letters to the Editor

      Caltrain and bicyclists

      The article Tuesday, "Run off the rails," is way off the mark. The
      implication is that the present displacement of seats by onboard bike
      racks is limiting Caltrain carrying capacity. I've ridden the train
      regularly with my bike for 5 years and have never observed a single
      passenger without a bike denied boarding. On the other hand, I am
      bumped several times per week with my bicycle. Even prior to Giants
      games, when the trains are the fullest, there is still standing room
      that would be considered the daily norm in major transit systems.

      Jonah Weinberg claims the situation to be "tricky," adding "we're
      leaving out 100 seats on a train for something like 16 or 32 bikes if
      it's full." That's simply incorrect, substantially overstating the
      number of seats taken up by bike racks. And seats on the train are
      not the only limited resource: parking near the stations is another,
      and cyclists do not occupy precious parking slots.

      By scaling back onboard bike capacity from 32 per car to 16 with the
      transition to the Bombardier cars, Caltrain is hurting itself in
      addition to its loyal passengers. That it fails to admit this shows
      how terribly disconnected the members of the board are. I wonder how
      many even take the train on a daily basis.

      Dan Connelly,
      San Francisco

      [BATN: See also:

      As ridership grows, Caltrain turns ever more bicyclists away