Column: SMART foe Marin Supe. Arnold plans maglev presentation

  • 9/1 Marin IJ
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2007
      Published Saturday, September 1, 2007, by the Marin Independent Journal

      Column

      Arnold aims to attract fans of magnetic rail

      All About Marin
      By Brad Breithaupt

      Marin Supervisor Judy Arnold is no friend of SMART.

      Arnold, who opposed the 2006 SMART train tax measure when she was
      running for supervisor, hasn't warmed up to the proposed Marin-Sonoma
      commuter train.

      She's looking for alternatives and planning a public presentation on
      medium-speed magnetic levitation. "Maglev" is a high-speed monorail-
      type train that depends on electromagnetic force for friction-free
      propulsion.

      "I think it could be a 21st century solution, rather than a 19th
      century solution," Arnold said.

      Supervisor Charles McGlashan, a SMART board member and champion of
      the train, said he's willing to listen.

      The cost of construction and its heavy use of electricity have
      prevented maglev from being seriously considered in the past.

      Even though another SMART train tax is headed for the November 2008
      ballot, McGlashan says he's open to alternatives.

      "I'm willing to take a look, always," he said.

      [...]