SamTrans unveils 350-condo TOD at San Carlos Caltrain station

  • 12/8 SMCo. Times
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2006
      Published Friday, December 8, 2006, by the San Mateo County Times

      SamTrans unveils condo project
      Shopping and living area near San Carlos Caltrain station

      By Christine Morente
      Staff Writer

      SAN CARLOS -- SamTrans' plans for an idyllic condo community near the
      train station where people bike or walk to nearby shops is becoming a
      reality -- at least on paper.

      The transit agency submitted its application, including sketches, for
      the project to the city last week to build a mixed-use complex along
      El Camino Real. The project -- to include 350 condos and retail
      space -- would be built on 8 acres of the transit agency's land about
      500 yards north of Holly Street near the San Carlos Caltrain station.

      The proposed complex would be less than 50 feet tall and would have
      about 8,000 to 10,000 square feet of retail. Ian McAvoy, chief
      development officer for SamTrans, said he envisions adobe-style
      buildings with slate roofs. View corridors would allow people who
      live in condos east of the tracks to see the city's hills. South of
      the development would be new parking and open space.

      "The project is sensitive to the concerns of local residents," McAvoy
      said. "Obviously from SamTrans' perspective, we want to make sure
      it's a high quality development to showcase along the Peninsula."

      The City Council will have to approve the plans after the design
      and environmental review process, which could take up to 18 months,
      depending on the complexity of the project, McAvoy said.

      On Monday, Scot Marsters and three others in the Laureola community
      between Highway 101 and Old County Road met with SamTrans to discuss
      the neighborhood's concern with the project's height and potential
      traffic and parking issues.

      Marsters was tight-lipped about the nature of the conversation,
      saying he is looking for a more finalized plan from SamTrans and a
      broader community meeting for more input.

      "I don't know if they're going to take (our suggestions) or not,"
      said Marsters, who is president of the neighborhood association
      and also on the city's Economic Development Advisory Commission.
      Marsters, a commuter, said he plans to speak as the neighborhood
      association president.

      "We look forward to working with them to resolve issues that we
      have," Marsters said. "We didn't want to go into the meeting and
      have it just be a complaint session."

      Staff writer Christine Morente covers religion, Belmont, San Carlos
      and families. She can be reached at (650) 348-4333 or at
      cmorente@...

      [BATN: See also:

      SamTrans to build housing at Caltrain, BART stations

      San Carlos NIMBYs worried by SamTrans' TOD plans

      San Carlos plans El Camino Real beautification near Caltrain