I-205 Mountain House sprawl-serving interchange work continues

  • 8/4 Stockton Record
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2006
      Published Friday, August 4, 2006, by the Stockton Record

      Work continues at Mountain House

      By Erin Sherbert
      Record Staff Writer

      MOUNTAIN HOUSE -- It could be next spring before drivers see a wider
      and safer Interstate 205/Mountain House Parkway interchange with new
      freeway ramps and an expanded bridge with traffic signals, project
      managers said.

      Crews are continuing work to widen the interchange to accommodate
      the increasing traffic jams and growth in the area.

      The $15 million project is about 60 percent complete, with crews now
      rebuilding the bridge across I-205.

      "The most significant improvement will be safety," said Eric Teed-
      Bose, project manager for Trimark Communities LLC, the master
      developer for Mountain House. "Instead of sharp, right turns onto
      an onramp, it will be more gradual."

      The rapid growth near Mountain House has triggered the need for
      better roads and a new interchange along I-205, Teed-Bose said.

      About 5,000 people live in Mountain House, a planned community just
      west of Tracy. The population is expected to grow to 44,000 in the
      next three decades.

      Local residents say the rural roads and freeway interchanges near
      Mountain House are in need of major repair. The Mountain House
      Parkway interchange project will help reduce congestion and ease
      morning commutes, some residents say.

      "It will be a lot better than before, with the flow of traffic,"
      said Michael Chambers, a Mountain House resident. "I wish they would
      expand more of the roads" near Mountain House.

      The interchange work is occurring in conjunction with the widening
      of Mountain House Parkway, a two-lane rural road linking San Joaquin
      County's newest town to highways and neighboring cities.

      Traffic volumes along the roadway increased by 45 percent in 2004
      as more families settled in. Today, close to 8,700 vehicles travel
      Mountain House Parkway daily, according to the Mountain House
      Community Services District.

      The plan is to widen the two-lane roadway to eight lanes from
      Interstate 205 to Von Sosten Road. From there, the road will be
      widened to six lanes all the way to Mascot Boulevard.

      From Mascot Boulevard to Byron Road, Mountain House Parkway will be
      widened to four lanes.

      Trimark will install traffic signals at some intersections where
      traffic delays are most problematic, officials said.

      Developers say both projects will enhance the appearance in Mountain
      House, giving the rural area an urban look, which will help attract
      businesses.

      "We are generally cleaning up that corridor," Teed-Bose said. "It
      (will be) a more clean and professional look with decorative fencing
      and street lights."

      Contact reporter Erin Sherbert at (209) 833-1143 or
      esherbert@...