Letter: High-speed rail needed now -- reasons to oppose absurd

  • 7/29 SF Chronicle
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1 9:16 AM
      Publihsed Saturday, July 29, 2006, by the San Francisco Chronicle

      Letters to the Editor

      Hooray for bullet train

      I've been reading all year in The Chronicle about the proposed plan
      to get a high-speed train system or bullet train into California.
      I must say that I think it's a great idea. Of course, it won't be
      easy, but some of the "reasons" people give against building a
      bullet train strike me as absurd.

      An article in January suggested that legislators would prefer
      to "attack existing congestion" rather than to spend money on
      building a better rail system. This is an excuse typical of myopic
      lawmakers. They would prefer to expand freeways or airports,
      solutions which create unsustainable "fixes" to an expanding
      problem.

      California will add 13 million people in 25 years. What we need is
      a better mass-transit system. A train is the best thing. Trains
      don't get caught in traffic. They alleviate congestion. The bullet
      train will get tourists, commuters and Sunday drivers off the road
      and from S.F. to L.A. in less time than it takes to go from Tracy
      to Oakland on a bad day.

      The train system will cost us billions of dollars less than what
      Californians have already paid in the past decade to expand roads
      which need to be expanded again and again. The letter that ran last
      week on bullet trains seemed a little more optimistic than January's
      (<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BATN/message/31476> "Bullet train --
      good and bad," July 18). I hope that's a sign of things to come.

      Chelsea Wurms
      Oakland