Man lying on tracks forces Capitol Corridor train to kill him

  • 5/29 Contra Costa Times
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2006
      Published Monday, May 29, 2006 by the Contra Costa Times

      Man on tracks killed by Amtrak train

      By Tanya Rose
      Contra Costa Times

      HAYWARD -- A man lying on the train tracks near West Tennyson Road
      and Huntwood Avenue in Hayward was killed Sunday night after an
      Amtrak train struck him, Hayward police reported Monday.

      Enoel Artemio Cortez, 42, died after being run over around 8:30
      p.m., according to authorities.

      Hayward police Lt. Gary Branson said Cortez was apparently lying
      on the tracks as the train approached him, but it wasn't clear how
      he got there. Branson said police believe the man was a transient.

      "We may never know why he was on those tracks," Branson said. "He
      could have tripped, he could have laid down on purpose, he could
      have passed out. We just don't know."

      Amtrak will be handling the primary investigation, but Hayward
      police will investigate as well, Branson said.

      Passengers on the Sacramento-bound train were bused to their
      destingations, said Vernae Graham, an Amtrak spokesperson.

      "The guy was laying across the tracks," she said. "The passengers
      and crew were fine, and that's really all I can say."

      Mark Davis, a spokesman for Union Pacific, said that while the
      incident occurred on UP tracks, Amtrak would handle the
      investigation because the train that struck Cortez was an Amtrak
      train.