San Carlos man aims to replace his house near Caltrain with TOD

  • 3/3 SF Examiner
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2006
      Published Friday, March 3, 2006, in the Peninsula Examiner

      City may add 28 condos near downtown, train
      Project joins recent push for denser housing

      By Beth Winegarner
      Staff Writer

      SAN CARLOS -- A fourth-generation resident is hoping to add to
      the influx of downtown housing by building 28 condominiums on his
      family's land at the corner of Cherry and Chestnut streets.

      Robert Stafford's proposal for a 49,000-square-foot, three-story
      condominium complex will go before the Planning Commission on Monday
      night.

      If approved, the project will join two other housing plans in the
      pipeline for central San Carlos, including more than 100 luxury
      apartments in the permitting stage at 1000 El Camino Real, and a
      major mixed-use project along the Caltrain tracks, due for a vote
      by the San Mateo County Transportation Authority board this month.

      "I want to redistribute the land; it's a high-density area,"
      Stafford said of his family's half-acre parcel.

      His project would involve demolishing an 87-year-old home at 1525
      Cherry St. and another at 700 Chestnut St., also more than 50 years
      old. Neither has historical importance, according to an
      Architectural Resources Group report.

      Stafford's impetus to redevelop comes from watching people commute
      to the Peninsula from the Central Valley.

      "It's absolutely outrageous that we don't maintain these housing
      corridors along transit. We need to change the paradigm," he said.

      Other developers appear to agree with that sentiment. A 104-unit
      apartment building is slated to go up at 1000 El Camino Real, the
      former site of Salvatore's restaurant. Property owner John Baer has
      not yet completed the permit process, according to city planner
      Stephanie Bertollo-Davis.

      This month, SamTrans will firm up its deal with Legacy Partners,
      which it hired to design a housing and retail project along the
      Caltrain tracks in downtown San Carlos, according to board Chairman
      and county Supervisor Jerry Hill.

      "If we're going to put more development in town, I don't think we
      could find a better location for it," Hill said.

      And, according to Chamber of Commerce President Sheryl
      Pomerenk, "The closer, more dense housing we get to downtown, it
      definitely stimulates the economy."

      The San Carlos Planning Commission meets Monday at 7 p.m. at City
      Hall, 600 Elm St.

      E-mail: bwinegarner@...