Column: As 1956 BART report shows, bad traffic nothing new

  • 2/28 SF Chronicle
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2006
      Published Tuesday, February 28, 2006, in the San Francisco Chronicle

      Column

      In the Bay Area, bad traffic's part of the landscape

      By John King

      "We are aware that people seem now to tolerate the enormous time and
      money costs of congestion and inaccessibility. We are confident,
      however, that before very long these costs will reach the point
      where they cannot be tolerated."

      -- Regional Rapid Transit: A Report to the Bay Area Rapid Transit
      Commission," 1955

      Let me break the news gently to you, dear readers: Jammed roads are
      as much a part of the Bay Area landscape as ocean views, oak-studded
      hills and overpriced homes.

      Or in the words of the rock band X, "We're desperate/get used to
      it."

      Dusting off X's 1981 oldie is appropriate in light of the Bay Area
      Council's apocalyptic pronouncement last week that a regional poll
      found the most pressing concern of residents here is transportation.
      "We've really shortchanged infrastructure in the state and in the
      region over the past decade, and it's taken its toll," council
      President Jim Wunderman proclaimed to The Chronicle's Michael
      Cabanatuan.

      But as Cabanatuan observed in his article, transportation has topped
      the annual survey at least 18 times since 1980. And why stop there?
      Let's roll the clock back to 1955 -- when the consultant report that
      led to the creation of BART took dire stock of the challenge of
      navigating the region by car.

      "Regional Rapid Transit: A Report to the Bay Area Rapid Transit
      Commission" was the slab-like tome prepared by the Parsons
      Brinckerhoff engineering firm and presented to the state Legislature
      in 1956. The methodical analysis of growth patterns and demographic
      projections radiates the peculiarly mid-century belief that a good
      gray study could solve all problems. And the images show us a place
      that in some spots is recognizable and elsewhere is changed beyond
      recognition. There are the marshes of Brewer Island instead of the
      suburbs of Foster City at one extreme; orchards where my parents'
      Walnut Creek house now stands at the other.

      But the text framing the study could be lifted straight from the
      latest Bay Area Council poll. Only the numbers are off.

      "Today's automobile age has brought with its miracles a level of
      travel discomfort, cost and hazard that is critical," we're told in
      an introductory section titled "The Problem." "In today's Bay Area,
      home now for some three million people, traffic problems are
      aggravating. With the population forecasted to increase by more
      than 50 percent in the next 15 years, they loom as staggering."

      Today's population: 7.1 million.

      It's easy to snicker at the naivete of Ozzie and Harriet being
      frustrated by the occasional backup. But then I turned the page and
      saw a map showing the "peak hour travel times between adjacent urban
      centers."

      San Francisco to Oakland: 43 minutes. Oakland to Walnut Creek: 50
      minutes. San Mateo to Palo Alto: 26 minutes. Richmond to Vallejo:
      32 minutes.

      And so on. Slowly.

      No wonder the 1955 study called for a rapid transit system "moving
      the maximum number of people in the minimum time" -- and not just
      today's BART, but an expansive web that wrapped south from Novato to
      San Jose, crossing the Golden Gate Bridge on a deck placed beneath
      the current roadway. In San Francisco there'd be an elevated line
      along Lombard Street that slid underground at Van Ness and chugged
      beneath Columbus for a spell on its way downtown.

      Seduced by this vision of connect-the-dot convenience, it's
      tantalizing to think how easy life would be if only the North Bay
      and the Peninsula had bought into the system. If only "the orderly
      installation of interurban rapid transit" had been "progressively
      extended as the Bay Area grows."

      Then reality kicks in.

      get around this region. All the broad freeways we've added since
      then make it possible to look at a map and think it should be a snap
      to shoot from Pleasanton to Point Reyes. But was there ever a time
      in the past 50 years when Bay Area drivers didn't feel besieged?

      The other extreme -- fighting the asphalt -- hasn't worked either.

      One example: In the 1980s and early '90s, there was talk of widening
      and improving Vasco Road between Brentwood and Livermore, a north-
      south passage between eastern Contra Costa and Alameda counties.
      Critics blocked the idea, arguing that fewer lanes means less
      sprawl, thus less traffic headed south.

      Guess what: As eastern Alameda County grew, Silicon Valley firms
      opened plants there. Brentwood started looking real good to high-
      tech workers in search of cheaper housing -- and its population
      has climbed from 7,500 to 40,000 since 1990, according to the U.S.
      Census Bureau, even though Vasco is still two lanes.

      For the record, the only three times in the past 15 years when
      transportation hasn't topped the Bay Area Council list came at the
      tail end of the recessions that hit early each decade.

      Somehow traffic jams at rush hour aren't quite so pressing when you
      don't have a job to rush to.

      That's the root cause of the Bay Area's transportation mess: People
      want to be here. You and you and you and me.

      The pay is good, or the politics tilt in the right (left) direction.
      You can't imagine buying artisanal bread anywhere else. So you stake
      your claim and make it work.

      If you change your mind, two other dreamers take your place. And
      pretty soon they'll complain about the traffic, too.