New year to bring higher BART fares

  • 12/24 Oakland Tribune
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 26, 2005
      Published Saturday, December 24, 2005, in the Oakland Tribune

      New year to bring higher BART fares

      By Laura Ernde and Eleni Economides

      Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. And now, here's some news to
      dampen your holiday spirit.

      Starting Jan. 1, BART commuters will pay higher fares to help offset
      the cost of running the trains. Ticket prices will go up by at least
      3.7 percent ? and more for some rides.

      Passengers interviewed Friday said they didn't know about the fare
      increase because there have been no signs about it posted in BART
      stations.

      For the most part, riders seemed upset that the fare increases once
      again would bump up the cost of their daily commute. Delores
      Macapagal, a Union City resident who relies on public transportation
      daily, is upset about the price increase.

      "I take bus to BART and then bus again," Macapagal said. "It's
      costing me $12 a day, and now, it will be even more. It's not fair.
      The wages won't match the cost, eventually."

      The minimum BART fare will jump from $1.25 to $1.40,which represents
      the first increase in two years.

      Donny De Leon, who works in Fremont and lives in San Francisco, says
      the increase in fares is not fair to working-class citizens.

      "How will this impact people who rely on the BART but don't make $35
      an hour?" he said.

      However, not everyone thought the fare increase is unfair.

      Irma Rodriguez of Union City said the service BART provides does not
      carry a price tag.

      "I don't really agree with the fare increase, but I think BART does an
      exceptional job with service," she said. "I've been to other train
      stations around the country and haven't seen the same service as I do
      here."

      BART riders on the Peninsula will be hit especially hard by the latest
      fare increase because of an increase in the surcharge they pay to help
      recoup the cost of building the BART extension to San Francisco
      International Airport.

      Trips that begin and end in San Mateo County, as well as trips that
      begin at any county station other than Daly City and end in San
      Francisco, will go up by $1.10 per ticket, BART spokesman Linton
      Johnson said.

      For more information, call (510) 441-2278 or visit http://www.bart.gov