New SJ BART extension deal in the works

  • 12/15 SF Business Times
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2001
      Published December 15, 2000, in the San Francisco Business Times

      A new BART deal is in the works

      By Nanci L. Valcke

      Looks like a San Jose BART deal that includes train service to Antioch and
      Livermore is in the works. Insiders tell me newly elected state Sen. Tom
      Torlakson got the nod behind closed doors from Carl Guardino, director of
      the powerful Silicon Valley Manufacturing Group. These are the guys who
      vehemently opposed Torlakson's BART buy-in legislation before the elections
      and appeared to have Gov. Gray Davis on their side. Torlakson has another
      bill in the works ­ one both men can support. The two met over a cup of
      coffee Dec. 9 to discuss the details. Guardino confirmed the meeting, but
      asked me to deliver a message to the Antioch Democrat. He said tell him "I
      had a delightful cup of coffee and the basis of our conversation was to be
      off the record until he and I decide otherwise." Happy to be the messenger.
      Torlakson and Guardino aren't the only ones negotiating. Members of BART and
      the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority are talking deals, putting
      more pressure on Torlakson to get legislation protecting his constituents if
      BART and the VTA strike a deal.