ChronWatch: SF Transbay Terminal escalators finally fixed

  • 8/23 SF Chronicle
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2005
      Published Tuesday, August 23, 2005, in the San Francisco Chronicle

      ChronicleWatch Results: 716
      Working for a better Bay Area

      By Suzanne Pullen

      Escalators working at Transbay Terminal: After nearly two years
      on our Watch List and dozens of tipster complaints, the Transbay
      Terminal's escalators are finally working again. ChronicleWatch
      began reporting on chronic problems with the escalators in 2003,
      after tipsters complained that all four were broken.

      After our calls, Caltrans -- which maintains the station -- tried
      several patchwork repairs, but spokeswoman Gidget Navarro said one
      pair of escalators is more than 70 years old and wasn't designed to
      handle the amount of traffic the terminal receives.

      The station at Mission and Second streets serves riders of Muni, AC
      Transit, Golden Gate Transit, SamTrans and Greyhound. Initially,
      Caltrans was reluctant to do major repairs, since the building will
      eventually be turned over to the city and replaced by a new one.

      But after repeated efforts to fix the escalators failed, Caltrans
      drummed up $595,000 to refurbish them and began work in June 2004.
      By September, one pair of escalators was working, but the rest of
      the job was delayed while parts were manufactured in Germany. All
      four escalators were finally working in July, and a state inspection
      was done earlier this month.

      "I am pleased to see the escalators are now operating," said
      Berkeley tipster Arnold Kessler. "But it's ridiculous that it has
      taken over three years for Caltrans to bring them into a state of
      repair. Thanks to The Chronicle for paying attention to this story."

      Who got it done: Bijan Sartipi, Caltrans District 4 director;
      (510) 286-5900; bijan_sartipi@...

      CHRONICLEWATCH

      Is something broken in your neighborhood? We want tips from
      communities in San Francisco, Alameda, Contra Costa, Solano, Marin,
      Napa, Sonoma, San Mateo and Santa Clara counties.

      Call (415) 777-7170 or e-mail chroniclewatch@...