Letter: New Caltrain schedule removes even stubborn stains

  • 8/24 SJ Mercury
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2005
      Published Wednesday, August 24, 2005, in the San Jose Mercury News

      Reader Martha Johnson (Letters, August 23, 2005, "Caltrain Service
      Hasn't Improved" <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BATN/message/26068) is
      not correct. Stare at Caltrain's new weekday commute schedule a bit,
      and its cleverness will jump out at you.

      [While BATN has been know to experience shivers of excitement when
      contemplating the Swiss national timetable, we are yet to experience
      any such frisson in connection with any transportation operation of
      any type in the Bay Area.]

      Users of the San Antonio station near my home now see dramatically
      faster travel times during peak commute. The "Limited" trains make
      every stop in Santa Clara County, then absolutely fly past all but two
      San Mateo County stations without stopping.

      Caltrain has cut travel time to the City for my stop from an hour and
      ten minutes to fifty minutes. My neighbors and I come within spitting
      distance of Baby Bullet speed, on a non-Baby Bullet train from a
      second-tier station. A thirty percent reduction in travel time
      certainly feels like improved service to me. The tradeoff is fewer
      trains make my stop during peak commute, but I'll take it, as it means
      about forty five minutes more personal time per day.

      Bill Murphy
      Mountain View