California takes 7 of nation's top 10 car-theft hot spots

  • 8/23 SF Chronicle
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2005
      Published Tuesday, August 23, 2005, in the San Francisco Chronicle

      California takes 7 of nation's top 10 car-theft hot spots
      Contra Costa, Alameda counties climb to No. 6 rank

      By Henry K. Lee

      The East Bay moved up a notch to No. 6 on an insurance industry list
      of the nation's top 10 auto-theft hot spots, joining six California
      cities on a roster that reflects the steady increase in the number of
      cars stolen in the Golden State each year.

      Modesto topped the list for the second year in a row, with the
      Stockton-Lodi area and Sacramento placing ahead of the East Bay and
      Fresno coming in at No. 9, according to data released Monday by the
      National Insurance Crime Bureau.

      [BATN: <http://www.nicb.org/public/newsroom/hotspots/index.cfm> ]

      California's dominance of the list is no surprise to the insurance
      industry and law officers, as auto thefts have climbed in the state
      during the past five years even as they've fallen 2.6 percent
      nationally last year, said Adam Cuevas, a deputy chief for the
      California Highway Patrol.

      The state's many ports make it an attractive target for auto theft
      rings, officials said, because stolen vehicles can quickly and easily
      be whisked overseas. But 85 percent of the cars stolen each year are
      taken by criminals who use them in other crimes, Cuevas said.

      "In other words, somebody takes the vehicle to do something else," he
      said. "It's not the professional car thieves that are going to chop
      up the vehicle or export it out of the state."

      The rankings on the Insurance Crime Bureau's list are determined by
      the number of vehicle thefts per 100,000 residents.

      The East Bay -- which includes Alameda and Contra Costa counties and
      is identified by the Insurance Crime Bureau as "Oakland" -- has
      steadily climbed since 2000, when it ranked 52nd. Last year it was
      No. 7.

      But as in previous years, the Central Valley -- including Modesto,
      Stockton-Lodi, Sacramento and Fresno -- saw higher rates of auto theft
      than San Francisco, which ranked 22nd.

      "We've worked very hard to address this," Cuevas said. "It certainly
      concerns us. We have done everything we can in our power, with our
      limited resources, to try and address the issue."

      Because stolen cars often are used in other crimes, many local law
      enforcement agencies allow officers to chase stolen vehicles, treating
      auto theft as a serious offense instead of a mere property crime,
      authorities said. But that policy has occasionally led to injuries or
      deaths of innocent motorists, police acknowledge.

      To combat car theft, the CHP and local police agencies work together
      on regional task forces, such as the Alameda County Regional Auto
      Theft Task Force. As an incentive to police, the CHP and AAA of
      Northern California sponsor the annual 10851 Award for those officers
      who recover the most stolen vehicles. The award is named after the
      vehicle code section addressing auto theft.

      Cuevas said in most cases stolen cars are recovered.

      "It's great that we get a lot of the vehicles back, but we need to
      stop the thefts from happening in the first place," he said.

      Motorists should use common sense and use alarms or other devices that
      immobilize their vehicle, said Frank Scafidi, spokesman for the
      insurance bureau.

      But no method is foolproof, Scafidi said. "No matter what you drive,
      no matter where you live, if a car thief wants your car, you could
      bury it in concrete and they're going to get it," he said.

      E-mail Henry K. Lee at hlee@...

      Car Theft Hot Spots

      Here are the top 10 cities in the nation for stolen vehicles in 2004,
      with rate of thefts per 100,000 vehicles. (Other Bay Area cities are
      listed below the top 10.)

      1. Modesto / 1571.38
      2. Stockton-Lodi / 1448.37
      3. Las Vegas / 1266.18
      4. Phoenix-Mesa / 1241.47
      5. Sacramento / 1151.40
      6. Oakland (East Bay) / 1038.85
      7. Visalia-Tulare-Porterville / 1032.55
      8. San Diego / 973.62
      9. Fresno / 950.66
      10. Seattle-Bellvue-Everett / 944.54

      22. San Francisco / 743.13
      32. Vallejo-Fairfield-Napa / 653.20
      91. San Jose / 438.37
      147. Santa Rosa / 327.94

      Note: Some cities are grouped together, and other cities may include
      the surrounding region, in accordance with the Office of Management
      and Budget's "Metropolitan Statistical Areas".
      Source: National Insurance Crim Bureau