Letter: BART to SJ fraud replicates BART to Millbrae debacle

  • 8/23 SF Examiner
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2005
      Published Tuesday, August 23, 2005, in the San Francisco Examiner

      Letter to the editor

      BART-SFO debacle

      The Aug. 6 letter by former California Assemblyman Lou Papan
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BATN/message/25702> brought back
      painful memories of my early days as a Sierra Club activist. In 1992
      both the Loma Prieta and S.F. Bay chapters, working with Peninsula
      Rail 2000 (now Bay Rail Alliance <http://www.bayrailalliance.org>),
      argued before SamTrans, the BART board, and ultimately the regional
      Metropolitan Transportation Commission seeking just what Assemblyman
      Papan wrote about: "Improving Caltrain service along with increasing
      SamTrans bus service could have saved the taxpayers much of the $1.5
      billion wasted on the under-performing BART extension."

      "Improving Caltrain" as described then in the federally required
      "Alternatives Analysis" was both about electrifying it and extending
      it to the Transbay Terminal. It included an "intermodal" station with
      Caltrain, similar to the Millbrae Caltrain/BART station that would
      enable free and frequent transfers between the two systems. Finally,
      we advocated improving and extending Muni Line 28 (from Marina via
      19th Ave. to Daly City BART) to service SFO.

      While I wish I could say that local and regional transit agencies have
      learned from this debacle, what the Sierra Club sees unfolding in the
      proposed BART extension to Silicon Valley is, unfortunately, deja vu.

      Sierra Club, Loma Prieta Chapter
      Palo Alto