Tom Lantos: I brought the HR3 bacon home to SMCo.

  • 8/23 SF Examiner
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2005
      Published Tuesday, August 23, 2005, in the San Francisco Examiner

      Letter to the editor

      Federal transit dollars

      Our federal transportation dollars are being invested efficiently and
      wisely in San Mateo County. Everyone agrees that improved buses and
      roads are needed, as your Aug. 9 editorial states. Indeed, the
      long-awaited highway bill just signed into law will provide $286.5
      billion in guaranteed funding over six years for federal highways and
      transit programs. The bill increases funding by 30 percent and
      ensures California a larger-than-ever share of what we pay in gas
      taxes.

      Members of the Bay Area delegation to Congress thought it was also
      important to secure additional support for high-priority projects
      identified in an open process in consultation with local authorities.

      In my district, these include improvements on Highway 101, El Camino
      Real and Route 1. The addition of a ferry terminal at South San
      Francisco will offer an important alternative form of transportation
      to a growing employment center and will relieve traffic on roads and
      bridges.

      Certainly local and state government should share some of the costs of
      these projects, and that is what successful partnerships are all
      about. Depending on just one partner to bear the burden will not
      deliver progress. With this federal commitment and the already proven
      support in San Mateo County, we are on our way.

      Congressman Tom Lantos
      D-San Francisco/San Mateo