Upcoming rail projects listed
- Published Saturday, December 23, 2000, in the San Jose Mercury News
Rail projects may include Stockton-to-S.J. addition
By Gary Richards
May the train of your choice be found here. Merry Christmas.
Altamont Commuter Express trains from Stockton to San Jose:
A third round-trip route could begin in February, pending negotiations
with Union Pacific.
BART around the Bay:
* Extension from Colma to Millbrae to open July 2002.
* Construction from Fremont to Warm Springs could begin in 2002.
* Extension to San Jose could be completed in 2008 to 2010.
Capitol trains from Sacramento to San Jose:
* Adding two trains in April between Sacramento and Oakland, and
possibly two additional trains to San Jose.
Light rail in Santa Clara County:
* Extension from Tasman Drive to I-880 to open May 18, 2001.
* Extension from I-880 to Alum Rock Avenue to open in 2004.
* Extension from downtown San Jose to Los Gatos to open in 2004.
* Fremont-San Jose interim service dropped. Express buses may be
Low-floor vehicles to be in service next summer.
* Express trains to San Francisco could be in service in 2003.
* Computerized traffic control and third tracks for passing to be
installed in another year or so.
* Added service to Gilroy on hold pending negotiations with Union
Pacific over track rights.
* Service to Salinas being planned.
Numbers to call:
* BART: (510) 464-6000.
* Bus service (Santa Clara County): (408) 321-2300
* Caltrain and Samtrans: (800) 660-4287
* Light rail: (408) 321-2300
* RIDES for Bay Area Commuters: (800) 755-7665.
SNOW, METERS: Caltrans now uses metering lights to limit the number of
cars getting onto Interstate 80 and Highway 50 when it snows. The I-80
meters are at Applegate, nine miles east of Auburn; the Highway 50
meters are at Pollock Pines and Meyers.
Your wait can be long, but it's better to wait below the snow line than
sit for hours in a snow storm.
Contact Gary Richards at mrroadshow@... or (408) 920-5335.