Upcoming rail projects listed

  • 12/23 SJ Mercury
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2000
      Published Saturday, December 23, 2000, in the San Jose Mercury News

      Rail projects may include Stockton-to-S.J. addition

      By Gary Richards
      Mercury News

      May the train of your choice be found here. Merry Christmas.

      Altamont Commuter Express trains from Stockton to San Jose:

      A third round-trip route could begin in February, pending negotiations
      with Union Pacific.

      BART around the Bay:

      * Extension from Colma to Millbrae to open July 2002.

      * Construction from Fremont to Warm Springs could begin in 2002.

      * Extension to San Jose could be completed in 2008 to 2010.

      Capitol trains from Sacramento to San Jose:

      * Adding two trains in April between Sacramento and Oakland, and
      possibly two additional trains to San Jose.

      Light rail in Santa Clara County:

      * Extension from Tasman Drive to I-880 to open May 18, 2001.

      * Extension from I-880 to Alum Rock Avenue to open in 2004.

      * Extension from downtown San Jose to Los Gatos to open in 2004.

      * Fremont-San Jose interim service dropped. Express buses may be
      substituted.

      Low-floor vehicles to be in service next summer.

      Caltrain service:

      * Express trains to San Francisco could be in service in 2003.

      * Computerized traffic control and third tracks for passing to be
      installed in another year or so.

      * Added service to Gilroy on hold pending negotiations with Union
      Pacific over track rights.

      * Service to Salinas being planned.

      Numbers to call:

      * BART: (510) 464-6000.

      * Bus service (Santa Clara County): (408) 321-2300

      * Caltrain and Samtrans: (800) 660-4287

      * Light rail: (408) 321-2300

      * RIDES for Bay Area Commuters: (800) 755-7665.

      SNOW, METERS: Caltrans now uses metering lights to limit the number of
      cars getting onto Interstate 80 and Highway 50 when it snows. The I-80
      meters are at Applegate, nine miles east of Auburn; the Highway 50
      meters are at Pollock Pines and Meyers.

      Your wait can be long, but it's better to wait below the snow line than
      sit for hours in a snow storm.

      Contact Gary Richards at mrroadshow@... or (408) 920-5335.