Letter: No on San Carlos SCOOT shuttle parcel tax

  • 3/1 San Mateo Journal
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2005
      Published Tuesday, March 1, 2005, in the San Mateo Daily Journal

      Letters to the Editor

      No on SCOOT tax

      I heard an inference made that the multitudes will be waiting in
      traffic should the SCOOT tax (San Carlos March 8, 2005 election)
      fail to pass. I offer this prefix.

      Additional traffic could return to those two sites where some
      traffic was relieved by SCOOT. It is, however, merely returning the
      greatest burden to those who would ride on the dimes of the greater
      majority of residents in San Carlos, a greater majority who has
      never and may never use SCOOT. So, do something constructive.

      Perhaps what needs to happen is that San Carlos takes this
      experience and learns a lesson from it: Carpool.

      Let those who would get the greatest benefit learn how to support
      themselves, making it work in a more socially and environmentally
      responsible fashion. There could have been a compromise: riders
      pay a fee and taxpayers pick up a small share (which is a rather
      generous option since it's the parents of a few hundred students
      who are truly benefiting from this system). Commuters and seniors?
      There have been and always will be alternatives. The inequitable
      and unnecessarily expensive SCOOT ($6/per person, per ride; city's
      quoted cost) is not the answer.

      In the end, maybe it will be the over 28,000 other residents of
      San Carlos who are smiling when their tax dollars are preserved
      for something more universally beneficial: perhaps the next need
      for education dollars; perhaps the next call to help emergency
      personnel. I urge the citizens of San Carlos to vote "NO" on
      Measure T (SCOOT)!

      Emily Paz
      San Carlos

      [BATN: See also:

      San Carlos Measure T to decide fate of SCOOT shuttle

      Letter: Vote yes on San Carlos SCOOT shuttle parcel tax

      Letter: San Carlos SCOOT shuttle tax campaign pay-for-play

      San Carlos SCOOT shuttle doomed if $59 parcel tax fails