Some hopes for 2005 in San Francisco

  • 12/31 SF Chronicle
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2005
      Published Friday, December 31, 2005, in the San Francisco Chronicle

      Hopes for the city

      By Kathleen Sullivan and Carolyn Jones

      People always talk about how they can make things better for
      themselves in a new year, but what if they were being a bit less
      selfish? What are some civic improvements that could make San
      Francisco a better place to live in 2005?

      The Chronicle asked a variety of San Franciscans for ideas, requesting
      more specifics than simply their wishes for peace or goodwill. Here
      are their comments:

      [...]

      Andrew Sullivan, chairman of Rescue Muni <http://www.rescuemuni.org>,
      said that he would like to see the transit agency "reach an 85 percent
      on-time reliability rate.

      "More people taking public transit so we can spare the air and reduce
      traffic and improve the quality of life here; and expansion of rapid
      bus service, particularly on Geary."

      [...]

      Leah Shahum, executive director, San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
      <http://www.sfbike.org>, said that the coalition expects "to see a
      significant increase in the number of people bicycling for
      transportation as they realize the health benefits and as the city
      stripes more bike lanes and makes biking safer and more comfortable.

      "Specifically, we'd like to see bike improvements on Upper Market,
      Potrero Avenue, Townsend Street and the Panhandle pathway. We're also
      working to get more and better bike parking."

      [...]

      Susan Eslick, president of the Dogpatch Neighborhood Association, said
      residents have been working for four years with the San Francisco
      Planning Department on the Central Waterfront Neighborhood Plan. A
      public review draft of the plan was released nearly two years ago.
      But the process has been stalled, Eslick said, because the city has
      not funded the required environmental impact review.

      "Dogpatch does really want to see development, but we want it to be
      sound and effective, not de facto -- lot by lot," Eslick said. "We
      feel that with the Third Street Light Rail nearing completion this
      seems like the right time to take this seriously."

      [...]