SCAG releases SoCal "Growth Vision Report"

  • 6/29 SCAG Press Release
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4 1:24 PM
      Published Tuesday, June 29, 2004, as a Southern California Association
      of Governments press release

      Southern California Prepares for 6.3 Million in Population Increase
      with Its Compass Vision -- Long-Term Blueprint For Growth

      Southern California Association of Governments Unveils Plan for
      Imperial, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino and Ventura
      Counties

      Preparing for a region that will grow by 6.3 million people by the
      year 2030, the Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG)
      unveiled "The Compass Vision," an unprecedented strategy to
      accommodate that growth while alleviating traffic congestion,
      improving air quality and sustaining a livable region.

      [BATN will never ever understand why agencies create press releases
      about reports they've published without even once mentioning the URL
      from which they can be obtained. Never mind, our highly compensated
      staff here at BATN do public agencies' work for them, as ever: find it
      at <http://www.socalcompass.org/about/report/> ]

      Local elected officials and business leaders from throughout Southern
      California joined SCAG officials in announcing The Compass Vision, its
      long-term blueprint for Imperial, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San
      Bernardino and Ventura Counties. The plan, called "The 2% Strategy:
      Shared Values; Shared Future," was presented at three news conferences
      in Orange County, the Inland Empire and in Los Angeles.

      It offers a growth vision for the next 30 years on jobs, housing and
      mixed-use development in centers and major transportation corridors.
      Estimates indicate there will be an additional 6.3 million people in
      the region by 2030, for a total population of nearly 23 million
      people. If current trends continue, traffic congestion will more than
      double in 2030.

      "This strategy is the growth vision of the people of Southern
      California," said Ron Roberts, City of Temecula Council member and
      President of the SCAG Regional Council. "It is the result of 13
      public workshops and contact with thousands of residents. It's a
      vision of shared values for the next 30 years and how we will address
      transportation, jobs, and housing."

      The plan is the culmination of a landmark project called "Southern
      California Compass," a collaborative regional planning effort launched
      in 2002 by SCAG.

      The Compass Growth Vision document is intended to convey a common
      understanding and image of how the region should develop over the next
      decades. It is not a comprehensive plan or zoning map.

      "The choices we make today will affect the results of tomorrow," said
      Toni Young, Mayor of the City of Port Hueneme and Second Vice
      President of the SCAG Regional Council. "We need to begin planning
      for our future today. This 2% Strategy is not a detailed zoning
      map. It's our compass that will direct us in the right course."

      "It is our hope that Compass will serve as a critical guide to city
      and county decision-makers, providing them with a regional framework
      for how to make local land use and transportation decisions more
      effectively and efficiently," said Bev Perry, Brea City Councilwoman,
      Immediate Past President of SCAG and Chair of the SCAG Growth
      Visioning Subcommittee.

      "This is an important beginning," said Susan Longville, San Bernardino
      City Council member, and member of the SCAG Regional Council. "Our
      next critical step will be to develop the tools and policies to
      implement this strategy."

      The plan outlines four principles for implementation:

      1. Improve mobility for all residents

      * Encourage transportation investments and land-use decisions that
      are mutually supportive.
      * Locate new housing near existing jobs and new jobs near existing
      housing.
      * Encourage transit-oriented development.
      * Promote a variety of travel choices.

      2. Foster livability in all communities

      * Promote infill development and redevelopment to revitalize existing
      communities.
      * Promote developments that provide a mix of uses.
      * Promote "people-scaled," walkable communities.
      * Support preservation of stable, single-family neighborhoods.

      3. Enable prosperity for all people
      * Provide a variety of housing types to meet the needs of all income
      levels in each community.
      * Support educational opportunities that promote balanced growth.
      * Ensure environmental justice regardless of race, ethnicity or
      income class.
      * Support local and state fiscal policies that encourage balanced
      growth.
      * Encourage civic engagement.

      4. Promote sustainability for future generations
      * Preserve rural, agricultural, recreational and environmentally
      sensitive areas.
      * Focus development in urban centers and existing cities.
      * Develop strategies to accommodate growth that use resources
      efficiently, eliminate pollution and significantly reduce waste.
      * Utilize "green" development techniques.

      Other local leaders helping to unveil the new vision for the region
      included: Mark Pisano, SCAG Executive Director; John Fregonese,
      nationally renowned urban planner and lead consultant of the Compass
      team; and Don Brackenbush, President of Public Private Ventures, Inc.