BART, SamTrans agree on failed SFO line subsidies

  • 5/13 BART Press Release
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2004
      Published Thursday, May 13, 2004, as a BART press release

      BART & SamTrans Reach Agreement on San Mateo County Extension

      BART and SamTrans jointly announced today that an agreement has been
      reached between the two agencies to resolve some recent issues
      involving service levels and operating costs.

      The agreement calls for SamTrans to continue to pay for the operating
      costs of the extension and for BART to institute some enhancements to
      service on the line.

      The two agencies have also joined forces to form a strong marketing
      program to build ridership. The marketing program was recently
      launched with a direct mail campaign targeting 128,000 households in
      northern San Mateo County. Included in the direct mailings, were an
      informational packet and a promotional $15 BART ticket to encourage
      people to ride BART. The ticket expires May 20.

      Additionally, the two agencies will explore a joint ticket for
      SamTrans, Caltrain and BART riders over the next year and a long-term
      parking program. "I think we've made some really good progress
      working together," said BART General Manager Thomas Margro. "I'm
      pleased with the results." [BATN: No doubt. BART _never_ gets the
      short end of the Bay Area transportation financing stick.]

      In the meantime, BART and SamTrans have pledged to meet regularly to
      review performance and resolve any issues that may arise. Both
      agencies have agreed not to pursue legal action in the coming fiscal
      year, which begins July 1 and ends June 30, 2005.

      BART Media & Public Affairs
      Linton Johnson, 510-464-7139 Work
      510-899-2285 Pager
      ljohnso@...
      http://www.bart.gov

      [BATN: See also:

      BART gives away $15 tickets to lure SMCo. riders