SamTrans, BART agree on dividing SFO extension costs
- Published Thursday, May 13, 2004, in the San Mateo County Times
SamTrans, BART agree on dividing costs of extension
Details of agreement are kept under wraps
By Justin Jouvenal
BART and SamTrans have reached a tentative agreement in their public
dispute over the ballooning costs of operating the San Francisco
Airport extension, a SamTrans official said Wednesday.
Details of the agreement were not released, but the SamTrans board of
directors gave its executive director the power to sign the deal if
BART approves the arrangement at a meeting today.
The details would probably be announced today or Friday, SamTrans
spokeswoman Rita Haskins said.
Both BART and SamTrans had been ordered not to talk about the
negotiations by a mediator that is working with the agencies. The
tentative deal comes after an acrimonious dispute between BART and
SamTrans that erupted into public view in March.
BART threatened to sue SamTrans if the agency did not pony up $11
million it owed to operate the BART-SFO extension. SamTrans officials
agreed to pay $8.9 million to delay the lawsuit, but demanded BART
reduce service on the line, which has not attracted large numbers of
SamTrans said the costs to run BART had skyrocketed from an initial
estimate of $6 million a year to $22 million. Officials said SamTrans
could pay the costs this year, but not next year.
Both sides had been negotiating since then with help of Metropolitan
Transportation Commission head Steve Heminger.
[BATN notes that former Quentin "BART-into-the-airport" Kopp staffer
Heminger was a tireless shill for the failed BART extension for more
than a decade.]
Staff writer Justin Jouvenal can be reached at (650) 348-4331
[BATN: See also:
BART SamTrans bill for SFO extension questioned
BART gives away $15 tickets to lure SMCo. riders
SamTrans cutbacks; BART SFO bust gets bigger
BART to cut back cleaning, awaits SamTrans cash
BART reports progress in SamTrans negotiations