Atherton to create panel to fight high-speed trains

  • 10/22 Menlo Park Almanac
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2003
      Published Wednesday, October 22, 2003, in the Menlo Park Alamanac

      Atherton wants panel to fight high-speed trains

      The Atherton City Council decided last week to create a new advisory
      committee devoted to issues surrounding the Caltrain tracks that
      bisect the town. The vote was 4-0, with Bill Conwell absent, at the
      October 15 meeting.

      Council members said they were concerned that the introduction of
      high-speed rail would result in the closure of the town's train
      station and grade crossings.

      "I don't know how our train station would even be viable. I think the
      town ought to actively oppose this," said Councilman Alan Carlson.

      Besides investigating the possibility of grade separations, such as
      rail overpasses, the ad hoc committee's charter includes opposition
      to high-speed rail between Los Angeles and San Francisco that would
      go through Atherton, council members said.

      "This affects everybody in town, but particularly those along the
      rail corridor," said Councilwoman Kathy McKeithen.

      The town will begin advertising for eight-to-10 residents to make up
      the new committee.

      [BATN: See related stories:

      Atherton puts Caltrain grade seps on its wish list

      Atherton officials vow to fight high-speed rail

      Atherton residents oppose Caltrain corridor plans