Letter: Stranded by BART, buses at SFO

  • 8/29 SF Chronicle
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2003
      Published Friday, August 29, 2003, in the San Francisco Chronicle

      Letters to the Editor

      Forlorn traveler

      I arrived at SFO Sunday at 11:40 p.m. I got to the new SFO BART
      station before midnight, but the last East Bay train had left at
      11:54. I backtracked to the terminal and tried a shuttle. The last
      one left at -- you guessed it -- midnight.

      I reviewed my options -- alone, because the information booths at
      SFO are all closed in the evening. A taxi would cost $75 or so, a
      cabbie informed me. The only alternative was the Samtrans bus --
      $1.25 to the Transbay Transit Terminal. I took it, arriving at 1:10
      a.m. I followed the signs to AC Transit - - and found the doors were
      locked. I backtracked to the entrance, where a bystander told me the
      AC Transit bus had just left (from the Samtrans bus stop). The next
      one would be in an hour, and would leave me at 14th and Broadway in
      Oakland.

      I finally negotiated an illicit deal with a cabbie, who took me
      across the bridge and charitably relieved me of my last cent. I got
      home by 3 a.m.

      So much for San Francisco, the world-class city; the
      beamy "Welcome!" from Mayor Willie Brown at SFO; the exhortation to
      leave the car at home and take public transport to SFO. Has nobody
      figured out there are flights that come in after 11:30 p.m.? Not to
      mention the ones such as mine that are delayed? Surely we can do
      better than this.

      Clive Chafer
      Oakland