Letter: SMCo. transit tax a BART cost "cover-up"

  • 8/26 Redwood City Independent
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2003
      Published Tuesday, August 26, 2003, in the Redwood City Independent

      Letters to the Editor

      Transit cover-up

      Occasionally we see print about what San Mateo will do if we vote for
      the transit tax extension. As I see it, the county's plan for the tax
      extension is a cover-up for the shortfall on the funding of BART
      operations in the county for the future and not for improvements to
      the existing infrastructure.

      Nowhere do I see anything about providing low-cost transit for the
      low-income people to get to their low-income jobs in the city. I rode
      SamTrans to the city for many years and the buses are full of low-
      income people going to their low-paying service jobs in the city.

      Under the new scheme of things they will be obliged to get off the
      SamTrans bus in Millbrae and board the high-cost BART to the city
      using about 14 percent of their net take-home pay just for transit
      cost.

      George Hill
      San Mateo