BART claims SFO/Millbrae extension a "success"

  • 7/7 KCBS Radio
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2003
      Published Monday, July 7, 2003, in the KCBS Radio AM 740

      BART to SFO Line A Big Success

      (KCBS)--It's been open a few weeks now and all indications are the new
      BART to SFO extension is a success.

      KCBS reporter Janice Wright ventured to the new line recently one
      afternoon and found mostly pleased riders.

      "I just flew in from Chicago and so far it's going great. Everything
      is very well laid out," said one passenger.

      And that is music to the ears of BART spokesman Mike Healy. We've seen
      "pretty much the amount of usage we expected," he said. BART officials
      expected some strong numbers and already the new line is carrying
      about 22,000 people per day.

      "We carried over 100,000 on the new line for the first week," said
      Healy, which outdid the showing of the BART system when it opened in
      1972. And that was a bigger line.

      Not all on the new line is perfect though. "I've heard some questions
      about where the signs might be and that kind of thing. But generally
      speaking it's gone really well," added Healy.